Brand new to the fourm...Have a question

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The factory sticker on the driver's side sun visor says to depress the throttle while cold starting. I use Power Service for anti gelling because a guy gave me a couple of bottles. I only put it in when it's supposed to get down to single digits. That said, it was one yesterday morning with nothing added for anti gel. I didn't start it yesterday morning, but I did after work and there was nothing out of the ordinary. I've only started to use anti gell after I had mine almost gel up on me three years ago. That was with temps around 0* and it had sit in two parking lots for about an hour with 30MPH or so winds blowing. Other than that, I just rely on whatever they put out at the pumps.

Shamoke

Reaction score
An hours drive south of the infamous Ferguson MO.
I will order the anti-gel and start using it, I'm more concerned with using it for it's lubricating qualities to keep that new injector pump in good shape. I saw a Youtube test for lubricity and anti-gelling of several products and Hot Shot's Secret won so I thought I'd ask here if anyone used a product they liked better.
I've had the return lines and injector O rings replaced along with the caps, fuel filter is new as is the lift pump so I don't know where it could be leaking air into the system but that would explain my symptoms. Maybe I'll try installing a check valve in the fuel line and see if that helps.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Just saw this thread. Hoping somebody can provide info on the right tool to pull the PS pulley. I had to swap mine over to a new pump and now I have the wobble. I was not aware they take a particular puller. Thanks, sorry for the hijack

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally ran the front fuel tank empty today and found that the fuel gauge starts to hope between over full to a quarter tank when the tank is nearing empty, I guess I need to pull both tanks and clean them out and replace the pickups and sending units but that will wait until next spring.
Nice typo! :D Mine hopes to get a full tank, when it gets near empty, too! :D:D:D
I will order the anti-gel and start using it, I'm more concerned with using it for it's lubricating qualities to keep that new injector pump in good shape. I saw a Youtube test for lubricity and anti-gelling of several products and Hot Shot's Secret won so I thought I'd ask here if anyone used a product they liked better.
I've had the return lines and injector O rings replaced along with the caps, fuel filter is new as is the lift pump so I don't know where it could be leaking air into the system but that would explain my symptoms. Maybe I'll try installing a check valve in the fuel line and see if that helps.
I'm also wondering if anyone has tried anything cheap and easily available, to improve lubricity.

Like mineral oil?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice typo! :D Mine hopes to get a full tank, when it gets near empty, too! :D:D:D

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried anything cheap and easily available, to improve lubricity.

Like mineral oil?
Something I plan on checking out is the marvel mystery oil as a fuel lubricant once I get my truck running again

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something I plan on checking out is the marvel mystery oil as a fuel lubricant once I get my truck running again
I'm pretty sure that would work well. Also ATF is a good cheap solution.

Only thing I don't like about these is the red color. If I got stopped, it could get me ticketed for using off road diesel, even though I don't.

Mineral oil... Clear. And even cheaper than atf. I really wonder what if any benefit it would have.

Last edited:

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There was a test done a while ago and I seem to remember marvel mystery oil not fairing well. Two cycle oil worked reasonably well at... 2oz per gallon I think?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will love the Hot Shot products. I run the EDT & the Hotshot Secret. If you do not run an electric fuel pump, put that on your list. Much easier to run down air intrusion problems also.

Shamoke

Reaction score
You will love the Hot Shot products. I run the EDT & the Hotshot Secret. If you do not run an electric fuel pump, put that on your list. Much easier to run down air intrusion problems also.

I just installed a new mechanical lift pump so that should last me a bit. What is EDT and do these products cause problem with electric pumps?

Shamoke

Reaction score
https://www.hotshotsecret.com/diesel-extreme/
https://www.hotshotsecret.com/everyday-diesel-treatment/

No problem with any pumps, electric or manual. Electric just makes it so much easier to trouble shoot air intrusion problems. Turn power on, instant fuel pressure before starting or checking for leaks.

So you use both at the same time? What about their anti gel? Use all three in the winter? Sorry for some many questions but I just want to get this right and reduce potential problems.