Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do these help?

You must be registered for see images attach

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where's the groove on the hub of the ps pulley that is used to remove it? That should be to the front.

Shamoke

Reaction score
An hours drive south of the infamous Ferguson MO.
Do these help?

They do, thanks. I believe that the A/C pulley is correct as it lines up with the outer grove on the crank pulley. The p/s pulley is the one that is off and it's just enough that it touches the a/c belt when the correct a/c belt in installed. From your pictures it seems that my p/s pulley is further forward than it should be.

Shamoke

Reaction score
Where's the groove on the hub of the ps pulley that is used to remove it? That should be to the front.

I saw no grove but will look again tomorrow. This picture seems to show the pulley installed too far forwad and that's what makes me think it's on backwards. Is that even possible?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Is that even possible?
I think it is possible, but I don't think that you'll get it back off without destroying the pulley if it's on backwards. They are made with a special "ring" (groove?) on the front side of the pulley that's used along with the special tool that pulls them off and presses them back on.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feel the front end of the pulley. Right at the shaft. The boss there should have a groove machined into to it. I think your vacuum pump pulley is the same.

The pulley, in the correct application, is usually installed with the shaft flush with the end of the pulley. feel the nose and can feel the shaft inside of the pulley hole?

Shamoke

Reaction score
Feel the front end of the pulley. Right at the shaft. The boss there should have a groove machined into to it. I think your vacuum pump pulley is the same.

The pulley, in the correct application, is usually installed with the shaft flush with the end of the pulley. feel the nose and can feel the shaft inside of the pulley hole?

Ok, here are some more pics of the pulley front and back. The front is concave which, if I remember correctly from my younger days should be towards the pump which is another reason I thinks it's backwards.

Back side facing pump

Front side facing radiator, I see no groove or keyway as in the older GM cars I used to work on as a kid.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a groove in the last pic. Right around the circumference. That's where a puller grabs it for removal. Looks to me like it is on correctly. Maybe it could go back another 1/32" of an inch. But that big boss on the back looks out of place. Dunno

I looked real quick on O'Reilley's for a 91 ps pulley. They also show a two groove which is weird. The pics they had, it looked like the grooves would sit further back when installed. The pulley they listed doesn't look like yours from their pics

You can see the distance mine is from the bracket. How far is yours?

couldy switch the order of the ps and ac belts while you figure this out?

Shamoke

Reaction score
I see a groove in the last pic. Right around the circumference. That's where a puller grabs it for removal. Looks to me like it is on correctly. Maybe it could go back another 1/32" of an inch. But that big boss on the back looks out of place. Dunno

I looked real quick on O'Reilley's for a 91 ps pulley. They also show a two groove which is weird. The pics they had, it looked like the grooves would sit further back when installed. The pulley they listed doesn't look like yours from their pics

You can see the distance mine is from the bracket. How far is yours?

couldy switch the order of the ps and ac belts while you figure this out?

No matter which way I put the belts on they will interfere with each other. In fact, this pic shows the p/s pulley is too far forward anyway. Do you have a link for that pulley you found?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dorman 300-024 was what I looked at. But that's listed for 90, 91, 92. Might check rock Auto.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the right pump I bet its wobbly because it's been pulled a few times with a 3 jaw puller and not the right tools

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't just accept that wobble. That's too much!

Either the pulley is bent, or the shaft is. You need to figure out which.

If the pulley replace it. If the shaft, replace the entire thing.

Shamoke

Reaction score
Don't just accept that wobble. That's too much!

Either the pulley is bent, or the shaft is. You need to figure out which.

If the pulley replace it. If the shaft, replace the entire thing.

Really leaning towards replacing both the pump and the pulley. Thanks to all of you for your input and I am sure I will find other things to ask about when I have more free time to go over this truck. For instance why the fuel gauge sits way above full. LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really leaning towards replacing both the pump and the pulley. Thanks to all of you for your input and I am sure I will find other things to ask about when I have more free time to go over this truck. For instance why the fuel gauge sits way above full. LOL

I would personally try to find a good used pump and pulley at the junkyard... But I'm cheap lol!

Fuel gauge is either shorted to ground or disconnected completely, I don't remember which is which. Start by tracing the wires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online