Brand new to the fourm...Have a question

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The first pic is of the passenger side injector area and the oily fluid collected just behind the injector. Could not reach it to see if it is oil or diesel.
Judging by the wet injector lines and return caps and lines, it looks like diesel to me. It may be time for a return line kit.
I'm wondering if I add a turbo kit to this engine how much it would add to the power and weather or not doing so would shorten the life of the engine.
How much power it adds depends on what turbo you add. It also depends on whether or not you can get enough fuel to your turbo (this only gets to be an issue if you're going for a lot of power/boost). Will it shorten the life of the engine? The correct answer here is "yes, but..." Yes because , in theory, any time you pull more power out an engine, then it will shorten the life of the engine. Again, in theory, a stock engine will last the longest. Now for the "but..." part. Adding a "stock" turbo, as in a turbo kit that was sold by an aftermarket company like Banks, ATS, Hypermax, etc., won't significantly shorten your engine life IF you keep the EGT's down. To keep an eye on them, you need a pyrometer with the probe installed within 8" of the head. An intercooler makes a huge difference on EGT's as well. Now if you add a big turbo, water/**** injection and a HUGE shot of nitrous like Thewespaul did, an engine just won't last all that long. Especially if you constantly push it like he did. Of course, he was trying to see how far he could push it before something broke.
This one is of the A/C belt and I noticed that it is offset due to the power steering pump pulley being too far forward. I can't see where the PS pump has been moved any and the mounts seem to be factory so I'm not sure if they have the wrong belt and routing on the a/c and ps pulleys.
I don't remember seeing and IDI with two groove pulleys on the A/C compressor and the power steering pump. I just remember seeing single groove pulleys. The power steering pulley doesn't look right. It looks funny (different). Not like the regular ones. The compressor looks like a different one than usually came on these trucks as well. This could explain your belt offset.

Shamoke

Reaction score
An hours drive south of the infamous Ferguson MO.
Can you post a better pic of the wet area on the head?

Be careful adjusting that steering. You could get it "tight" enough in the center and have it not want to return to center after making a turn

There are specs somewhere that involve disconnecting the steering column and drag link and using a torque wrench to turn the output shaft. Here's one site for reference. http://www.stangerssite.com/adjustment.html

Make sure your column isn't worn. That rag joint plus the collapsing column could be giving you a lot of the slop.

Welcome to the club.

I will get a better picture in the daylight when I have a step stool to stand on. Thanks for the info on the steering.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's definitely something wrong with that PS pulley. It's supposed to just be one belt. It also looks to me like the pulley shaft isn't pressed all the way in to the pump. edit: On my desktop now and I can see it better, so I take that last part back. It's still the wrong pulley though, both the AC and power steering should be single belt each.

Last edited:

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those belts look backwards to me. My ac and power steering are single pulley. Alt is double pulley with the second groove driving the vacuum pump.

You must be registered for see images attach

Shamoke

Reaction score
Judging by the wet injector lines and return caps and lines, it looks like diesel to me. It may be time for a return line kit.

How much power it adds depends on what turbo you add. It also depends on whether or not you can get enough fuel to your turbo (this only gets to be an issue if you're going for a lot of power/boost). Will it shorten the life of the engine? The correct answer here is "yes, but..." Yes because , in theory, any time you pull more power out an engine, then it will shorten the life of the engine. Again, in theory, a stock engine will last the longest. Now for the "but..." part. Adding a "stock" turbo, as in a turbo kit that was sold by an aftermarket company like Banks, ATS, Hypermax, etc., won't significantly shorten your engine life IF you keep the EGT's down. To keep an eye on them, you need a pyrometer with the probe installed within 8" of the head. An intercooler makes a huge difference on EGT's as well. Now if you add a big turbo, water/**** injection and a HUGE shot of nitrous like Thewespaul did, an engine just won't last all that long. Especially if you constantly push it like he did. Of course, he was trying to see how far he could push it before something broke.

I don't remember seeing and IDI with two groove pulleys on the A/C compressor and the power steering pump. I just remember seeing single groove pulleys. The power steering pulley doesn't look right. It looks funny (different). Not like the regular ones. The compressor looks like a different one than usually came on these trucks as well. This could explain your belt offset.

Thanks for the info, don't think I'll bother with a turbo. Slow and steady will be just fine by me as long as I get there without damaging anything. I'm thinking it's due foir injectors, return lines and filters anyway so I might as well jump in and learn as I go. Fall should be here any day now and business will slack off enough to allow me time to do things around here. The puleys may be different but they both line up to separate groves on the water pump and crank pulleys so the correct belt in the book should fix it. Someone changed the belt and ran it with the ps pump even though it is off.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Staying N/A is fine. I doubt that you'll see much more high elevation than I will in northwest Kansas. The only time that you may miss a turbo would be if you're towing. If you're pulling lighter loads, then you still won't notice it too much. By a light load, I'm talking about something like this. I could barely tell that it was behind me.

Shamoke

Reaction score
Ok, for those of you who are still interested in this thread. I think I figured out the power steering pump pulley and A/C belt situation. I believe that the P/S pulley is either on backwards or it's the wrong pump/pulley. I bought an a/c belt today and it is shorter than the one that was on there going around the p/s and a/c pulleys. I installed the correct belt on the a/c pulley and the water pump and crank pulleys and saw that the p/s belt now interfered with the a/c belt. The pictures below show the pulleys after I removed the new a/c belt and you can clearly see that the p/s pulley sticks out too far so it's either on backwards or it's the wrong pump or pulley. And it wobbles too but the forum won't allow me to upload it.

Shamoke

Reaction score
Staying N/A is fine. I doubt that you'll see much more high elevation than I will in northwest Kansas. The only time that you may miss a turbo would be if you're towing. If you're pulling lighter loads, then you still won't notice it too much. By a light load, I'm talking about something like this. I could barely tell that it was behind me.

Yea n/a will be fine, it was just a thought really and I was wondering about the benefits verses the downside. I will be towing a front loader that weighs about 14k but that will be very rarely and never very far, maybe 15 miles at most so it should be fine like it is.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that it really matters if you get everything to work right, but I wonder if that is a non-factory A/C setup. Would account for the odd pulley setup and double pulley on the A/C unit.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I was wondering about that pulley being backward, but I can't tell from the angle of the pictures. It appears that the pulley does need to be installed farther back, but it doesn't look like it will go back far enough to let the belt line up. Again, it's hard to tell by the angle of the picture.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online