Brand new to the fourm...Have a question

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great information and tips. In case your wondering this is a picture of the truck I'm going to look at this afternoon. Getting ready to leave for thr 80 mile trip to see it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Good looking truck!
It's at a dealership? Be Careful!!

1992 idi 73

Reaction score
I have a 1992 F-250 first year of the OBS with a E4OD, and it has good get up and go for no turbo without a load but with a heaver trailer don't expect to do mush over taking. Lucky for you with the manual you don't have to worry about any major tarny issues. Just check for oil in the rad to see if the oil cooler is not leaking. :)

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great information and tips. In case your wondering this is a picture of the truck I'm going to look at this afternoon. Getting ready to leave for thr 80 mile trip to see it.

Being that is a cab and chassis DRW it should be a better puller then a Dually. Clean looking trucking.

Shamoke

Reaction score
An hours drive south of the infamous Ferguson MO.
Thanks to all of you with your information and advice. I bought the truck last night and drove it home 80 miles with no issues other than the steering is a bit lose. It has a good 20 degrees dead spot in the middle but I haven't looked at adjusting it yet, hopefully it doesn't need a steering box but we'll see.

The truck runs well and the clutch feels good, no stuttering or sloppiness and the temp stayed right in the middle. It has a new injector pump and starter but I am going to have to have the radiator fixed of a small seep leak in the front. Surprisingly the A/C works but the belt sequels for the first few minutes it's run, I think the compressor is getting stiff because the belt looks fine and seems tight.

The tires look to have around 70 to 80% tread and the front fuel tank is completely full so all in all I'm pleased with the find. I will be lurking here and reading some of the threads to learn more but I'm wondering if I add a turbo kit to this engine how much it would add to the power and weather or not doing so would shorten the life of the engine.

So thank you again for helping me to decide weather or not to buy this truck, as my first one ton truck and my first diesel I believe it will serve me well for a long time. I'm really liking the fact that it does not require any electronics and computer controls, makes it much more reliable in my book.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My F250'S steering is super sloppy too. I rebuilt the whole front end (tie rods, ball joints, rag joint too). I put in a junk yard gearbox from a ford ranger (yep same one) because the one in it was leaking heavily. Both the one i took out and the one i put in has a lot of slack but oh well.

My RVs is fairly tight, but it only has about 71k on it. It seems to be leaking from a hose connection, o ring i guess? I just keep refilling for now.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
I would think that the gearbox is adjustable. All of my previous Fords have had an adjustable steering gearbox.
But maybe that's because they were manual steering?

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
Just took a quick look at the one in my E350 and it's adjustable. There is an adjusting screw on the upper surface that has a lock nut around it.
If the trucks are running the same gearbox it should be easy.
Loosening the locknut and turning in the screw some should tighten up some play. Just don't make it too tight, it's ******* the bearings.

Shamoke

Reaction score
I just looked at mine but to see the gear box I'm going to have to get a step stool to see down there. I did notice two other things though and took some pictures to show you.

The first pic is of the passenger side injector area and the oily fluid collected just behind the injector. Could not reach it to see if it is oil or diesel.

This one is of the A/C belt and I noticed that it is offset due to the power steering pump pulley being too far forward. I can't see where the PS pump has been moved any and the mounts seem to be factory so I'm not sure if they have the wrong belt and routing on the a/c and ps pulleys.

This one is the p/s pump mounting. All seem,s normal to me.

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
I have the serpentine belt on mine, so not used to v-belt routing, but it looks like they have them in the wrong V's in the bottom pulley?

Shamoke

Reaction score
I have the serpentine belt on mine, so not used to v-belt routing, but it looks like they have them in the wrong V's in the bottom pulley?

I agree and the a'c pulley is supposed to have two belts and is probably why it sequels for the first few minutes when turned on. I'll get new belts tomorrow and see about rerouting them. Think I'll buy a Hayne's book for this truck as well.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post a better pic of the wet area on the head?

Be careful adjusting that steering. You could get it "tight" enough in the center and have it not want to return to center after making a turn

There are specs somewhere that involve disconnecting the steering column and drag link and using a torque wrench to turn the output shaft. Here's one site for reference. http://www.stangerssite.com/adjustment.html

Make sure your column isn't worn. That rag joint plus the collapsing column could be giving you a lot of the slop.

Welcome to the club.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online