Turbo 6.9idi in a 1949 Ford F1: Change My Mind.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need your help (or your delusion to push me off the cliff). Slightly off topic, but it's about IDI's, and sometimes it's fun to take a break from the normal. If this isn't allowed, please move/delete.

I've got a 1949 Ford F1 (named Frank) that I want to repower. It's got the original Flathead 6 in there, but I want to restomod the truck. A little lower, Crown Vic front end suspension, and disc brakes. Original is cool, but I'm looking for unique and most of all fun.

With that said, my other truck (Red Fred the Rusty Flatbed, if you've seen my threads here) that I've fallen in love with. That silly '84 is ridiculous, but just has SO MUCH character. I love it. But it's a pig. Fine for a flatbed dump runner, not great for a 'hot rod'.

Which led me to think, what about an idi into Frank? I'd want to turbo it, and maybe even intercool in time. Probably would go auto trans, and of course a new rearend to handle the torque. Would probably do airbags in the Crown Vic suspension to help with the weight (original engine is like 400lbs).

From what I can tell, the 6.9 is about the same exterior dimensions as a Ford 460, which guys have shoehorned into the engine compartment of these trucks. So, it should be doable.

I'm not a master craftsman, certainly, but I'm eager to learn, try, fail, and try again. This will be my side project, probably 5 years away from being done, but I want to start collecting parts and get my direction.

My other engine choices are the 302, 351, or I suppose rebuild the original I6. I think power-to-weight could be bested with the 351, but there's something super unique about the clatter of that idi.

I think it might be kinda fun. Change my mind.

Photos of when I brought Frank home a couple years ago. He now sits in my shop waiting vision (had to move/build a shop before I could ask these questions).

You must be registered for see images attach

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't compare the dimensions of the 460 to the idi, fatter taller and longer.
The crown vic suspension will never support the 1000 lb. idi.
If your looking for a nice street rod go with the 302/351.

Just my opinion

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't compare the dimensions of the 460 to the idi, fatter taller and longer.
The crown vic suspension will never support the 1000 lb. idi.
If your looking for a nice street rod go with the 302/351.

Just my opinion
This is what I need to hear. Just confirming I heard you right: which is fatter, taller, longer? The idi?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get one of your buddies, with a 6.9 or 7.3, to bring it over and get out your tape measure. YOU can measure the dimensions and make sure it will fit. These engines are HEAVY! Good luck and go for it!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are many ways to accomplish this!!
and I am 100% for this!!

I would agree with 77f250diesel..
IMO a crown vic is a nono!!!
that said. I also like to create abominations :D

that F1 frame will accept a GM IFS very easily.
yeayeayea... I know "I don't want gm junk"

but the crossmember unbolts, and you can keep the 1 ton stuff, while achieving that lowered look.

I say go for it!!! pics of my builds for inspiration
bronco is on GM suspension

the last 2
61 F100 on a 86 F250 frame with super duty axles.
63 ranchero on a 89 F350 frame
all 3 with 7.3's

don't count out frame swaps... they are pretty easy!

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIoit you are definitely in the "pushing me further into delusional" realm. THOSE TRUCKS ARE GORGEOUS.

I'll have to rethink the front end idea, sounds like Crown Vic is a no go. Even with upgraded air springs? Is it the bearings/bushings/tierods/etc that will go poop on me?

You have to tell me more about that twin turbo setup you've got going there. And, what GM IFS donor should I look for?

You guys rock! Thanks for your help! I'll make sure not to call any of you when they come with the straightjacket to lock me up! LOL

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a 77 suburban IFS. basically any truck from late 70's to the late 80's has the same crossmember.
ive since then installed a 2004 2500hd 4x rack and pinion

if I was a betting man, id say a control arm would shat the bed on a CV

the 63 has twin to4e's and custom exhaust.
pushin 25 psi on head bolts, until I scatter it :D

ive been on the phone with Justin at R&D and planning my 41 1/2 ton drag truck build.

planning on a tube chassis, a IDI with a st-10 at first.

cant decide if I wanna suicide the front end or go the gasser route.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A guy close by me did a 51 Ford pickup , but put it on a Dodge frame with the Cummins, Came out pretty nice but was a lot of work. If was me think I would put the 49 stuff on a newer frame.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much room do you have between the firewall and the radiator? If I were you, I'd look for a DT360 or better yet a DT466 for it if (and that's a big if) there is enough room (length wise) under the hood. Why a DT? They are wet sleeved, way over built (they have 5/8 head bolts for crying out loud), and can make and live at crazy HP/torque. There are also huge numbers of medium duty transmissions you can put behind one. There are adaptor parts for "regular" truck transmissions if you don't go crazy with the engine output.

Just my delusional two cents....

Heath

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How much room do you have between the firewall and the radiator? If I were you, I'd look for a DT360 or better yet a DT466 for it if (and that's a big if) there is enough room (length wise) under the hood. Why a DT? They are wet sleeved, way over built (they have 5/8 head bolts for crying out loud), and can make and live at crazy HP/torque. There are also huge numbers of medium duty transmissions you can put behind one. There are adaptor parts for "regular" truck transmissions if you don't go crazy with the engine output.

Just my delusional two cents....

Heath
Just to add my opinion to this, the Cummins swap is overdone. Do something more unique. You already have a unique foundation for the build.