Ford Rear Dana 70 1US or 1U8 ????

Built Fedak Tough

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1985 Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel for a parts truck . The fellow i purchased it from told me it had a Dana 60 rear but turned out it was a Dana 70 instead : ) But i have been wondering if any one out there knows what type of Rear Dana 70 did come with that year of truck ?? On the drivers side of the pumpkin is a cast number which reads the following : 70 1US or it may be 70 1U8 ??? not 100% sure . But if it is the 70 1US does the S stand for a Super 70 : ) or if it is a 70 1U8 does what does the 8 stand for ???

Hopefully someone out there will know , thanks .

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah I think Ford used the dana70U until about 1988 when they started using Sterling. I like them both.

Where about a in Sask are you?? I love it out there!! Nice to see an oil burner from that part of the world;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think Ford used the dana70U until about 1988 when they started using Sterling. I like them both.
I thought they stopped using the Dana 70 (and 60 rear) axle midway through '85? Or did the axle continue on in something besides the pickup/van application? Certainly, I haven't seen an F-Series or an Econoline built after mid '85 that didn't have a Ford rear axle, SRW or DRW...

Built Fedak Tough

Reaction score
Where about a in Sask are you?? I love it out there!! Nice to see an oil burner from that part of the world;Sweet
Thanks Kevin , it's great being an oil burner . Looking to do a 12 valve Cummins conversion someday : ) but I hear it can get pretty costly by the time it's all completed .
I'm living up in northern part of Saskatchewan ( GOD'S Country lol ) . Seriously I love it here with all the fresh water lakes , endless forests ...perfect place to be : )

Built Fedak Tough

Reaction score
Thanks a Million wvredxj for sharing that Dana 70 link . I will check it out once I get a chance : )
Maybe it is an 70B not a 70 8 that I have ?? Would have been even more Awesome if it were the Super Dana 70 but my axle tubes do neck down at the ends . Is your Dana 70 tubes the same diameter right to the ends ? They should be if it's a HD 70 .
My 85 Ford F -350 4x4 Diesel definitely has a Dana 70 ( original ) but not sure if Ford only offered the one version like my Dana 70 for that year , or did they offer a couple different versions ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online