For those with an Overdrive unit

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
How did you aquire your OD unit?

I love my truck, but I think with the 4.10's and a OD unit to lower the RPMs when at highway speed. I would have a match made in heaven for the IDI.

I dont want to buy the unit new as it cost as much as I paid for the truck, and I rarely see them come up for sale, I search the Junkyards and CL everyonce in awhile, but no luck, So I figure Id ask other people how they got thiers?

Well....

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Luckily mine came on my truck when I bought it. I agree they are quite spendy for the average Joe to shell out the cash for a new one. Its one of those things you have to keep an eye out for... Also try eBay. They pop up on there every so often as well. If you're willing to pay shipping it helpsto search in neighboring states Craigslist listings as well.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya don't list your tranny in your sig. , but it must be an E4OD. Is that right?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay is always listing them but please know what your looking at before you buy. If the serial number has an XR before the numbers then this box was factory rebuilt.. Thats a good thing. Also you want the "P" model if your looking at the Gear Vendors. The "J" model is the early model and not as strong as the P model. The easy way to know what your looking at is see what size the speedometer fitting it. The P model has a 2 inch fitting size where the J model has the 1 inch fitting size. Also realize any Gear Vendors will fit most any trans with the correct adapter. The factory wont sell one outright. They only take trade ins with cash. That way they control the market. A rebuilder in Aromas Ca named maximum Overdrive has a good deal on what he rebuilds and usually has adapters too.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw one at picapart! And a turbo too! I was there getting ac brackets for a chevy at work so i could not pull it.went back on my day off and both gone!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay, Craigslist. It's also not uncommon to find someone selling a parts truck that has one in it. That's how I got one of mine - bought a truck with a USG/broke C6, threw a spare C6 in and then resold the truck and kept the USG box. The other 2 I just bought straight out off CL.

Having the 4wd truck you're more limited in what you can use - 2wd units seem much much more common than 4wd.

For the cost/work/scarcity of an OD it's almost cheaper & easier to swap your axle gears. 3.55 with an overdrive trans works well IMHO, and having 4wd you can always drop into lo range if you really need low gearing for something.