Fluid chnage in E4OD throws a code!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your misfortune. My C6 is getting rebuilt as we speak. Figured what the hell, since the transmission has to come out anyways to put a new flexplate in her, mise well get trans freshened up.
It does sound like the solenoid pack needs to be replaced. This is the same thing that was happening with a gmc truck I had about 5 years ago. Rebuilt 4l60e (royal piece of junk) transmission at 80k....still not right. Replaced valve body and ok for 20k miles. Then it locked into 3rd gear one day. Had shop replace solenoids again. After that, it still shifted like a bag of crap. If would shift in and out of every gear like it didn't know what to do. Even installed a B&M electronic shift control on it and that didn't help. That's when the "for sale" sign went on it and brought home my idi with the good old C6. That's when I switched to Ford's and haven't turned back.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still say it's not Solenoid Pack as he tested the output and it shifts ok .

Possible adaption issue or TCM which will cause the adaption:sly ----> Check my previous post

Last edited:

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Check my previous post

I appreciate they hyperlink, I was headed in the direction of an updated TECA in the not too distant past, but was advised against it once I made it known to the board I was running an old solenoid pack from a previous rebuild (or two).

I haven't ruled it out as a possibility.

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, gentlemen - I appreciate it. Tomorrow I am going to get out my multimeter and run some checks on the solenoid pack (again) The TC is not locking at all. I doubt the problem is the TC itself because it just suddenly decided not to lock up. The trans was working great when the trans guy ran in after the work, and was working for the first 5 miles on my way home yesterday. Still seems to shift fine through all 4 gears, just won't lock the damn TC now.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got out my multimeter and solenoid pack "test harness" and got under the truck. The first thing I see is the temp probe in the pan all bent up :mad:
You must be registered for see images attach

I then pulled off the heat shield and see that (the connector that I had been so careful not to break) is now broken-cuss
You must be registered for see images attach

I think I will replace these and send the trans guy a bill. This kind of stuff irritates the heck out of me when you pay somebody to do the work. At least tell me you accidentally broke the connector and do the right thing and replace it. Jeez!
Anyway, on to the testing of the solenoid pack - here are the results:
Connecting between pins:
1-2 no change is meter reading (1)
1-3 no change in meter reading (1)
1-4 no change in meter reading (1)
1-5 no change in meter reading (1)
11-12 4.2 ohms
I then connected 12 volts to pin 1 and grounded pins 2,3,4, and 5 and nothing whatsoever happens, so this solenoid pack appears to be *****. I will order out a rebuilt one - probably get a Sonnax rebuilt pack from PATC - $116.00.
So, is it "usual" for all solenoids in the pack to go bad like this? And how is the trans even working at all? It must be in limp mode and working on pressure alone as the solenoids do not appear to be doing anything, but I still have all 4 gears.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Usually you will have a couple of weak solenoids, maybe a dead solenoid. I never had one completely fried.

It had to be working if you had all gears in (D). You would have more than one code if the pack is totally dead. 62,92,93,94,and 99 are the common codes.

I would replace the pack and connector. Also I would move the temp probe to the test port. You will get a more accurate reading there.

Torque spec for all the bolts, screw,s and nuts including the accumulator body if you decide to enlarge the holes. 80-100 inch pounds. Start in the center and work your way out. Do not over tighten the hardware.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torque spec for all the bolts, screw,s and nuts including the accumulator body if you decide to enlarge the holes. 80-100 inch pounds. Start in the center and work your way out. Do not over tighten the hardware.

;Sweet Just finished Mine today and enlarged all holes including the one by the bushing.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tbrumm ..

Can you splice the connector you been using for testing in place .

How did you secure the Tranny Temp sender in the pan , what all did you use

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tbrumm ..

Can you splice the connector you been using for testing in place .

How did you secure the Tranny Temp sender in the pan , what all did you use

Yes, I will be splicing in my "test harness", which is nothing more than the solenoid pack repair connector anyway. I have the trans harness out and will be doing that today. The temp sender is nothing but an Autometer probe that fits into a 3/8" npt (I think) hole drilled and threaded into the cast aluminum pan.

So, I got to thinking about those resistance test results I got with my multimeter yesterday and thought about the fact that the entire solenoid pack could not be fried. So I hooked up my test harness again, and made double sure I got the connector snapped down into the pack connector and then made triple sure. Here are my resistance results compared to my earlier results posted back on page 6 of 7:
1-2 18.4 ohms
1-3 18.3 ohms
1-4 18.3 ohms
1-5 18.4 ohms
11-12 4.2 ohms

My previously posted readings:
SS1-wires 1 and 2 20.6 ohms
SS2-wires 1 and 3 20.5 ohms
TCC-wires 1 and 4 20.6 ohms
SS3-wires 1 and 5 20.3 ohms
EPC-wires 11 and 12 4.6 ohms

So the solenoid pack is out of spec for resistance. I also hooked up 12 volts to pin 1 and connected other pins to ground individually:
Pin 2 audible click when grounded and audible click when ground removed
Pin 3 audible click when grounded and audible click when ground removed
Pin 4 (TCC) no audible click heard when grounded and faint click heard when ground removed. When touching to ground sometimes I could make it click and sometimes not, even though I know my ground was good. Well, this was an "AHA! moment". See Trackspeeder's comment in post 164 - he knew what the scoop was here long before I did :hail- I merely confirmed what he already knew to be the case. The TCC solenoid is weak, working slow and sometimes not working at all. In addition to repairing my trans harness today, I will get a rebuilt solenoid pack ordered out.

Last edited:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well tbrumm .. I really do feel your pain from here . I am in the same boat as you but sitting on the other end with NO OD flashing though however after the tranny builder and i gone thru the tranny this weekend with toothpick i drooped off to the shop to be mounted ...easy right

Well i got the call that my truck is stuck on 1st gear and won't shift to 2-3-4 or get the TC to lock up am Like *** . Reverse is great . LOL . So i should drive backward and be done .

What's the progress on yours

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tbrumm any luck with yours ...?

It's working well so far for me ..;Sweet

It was wiring acting up that's is going by the Banks Transcommander which i discovered came on the truck, I had code 65 that i cleared and thankfully it stayed away . The shift kit along with the work on the VB and banks turbo woken up the beast

Keep us posted

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tbrumm any luck with yours ...?

It's working well so far for me ..;Sweet

It was wiring acting up that's is going by the Banks Transcommander which i discovered came on the truck, I had code 65 that i cleared and thankfully it stayed away . The shift kit along with the work on the VB and banks turbo woken up the beast

Keep us posted

Well, Spun4fun, I am glad you got your trans sorted out! I ordered out my rebuilt solenoid pack and a new 1/4" drive inch/pounds torque wrench and both were waiting at the mailbox for me when I got home tonight. I will hopefully be installing the solenoid pack over the weekend and hope that solves the lockup problem, but I will be sure to update what happens. In the meantime, enjoy driving your fully functioning transmission.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you purchase your pack and how much if you don't mind me asking? Is it a rebuilt or new? I hope that resolves the problem you are having with your trans. My trans guy asked me if I wanted to replace the solenoid pack and I said "no, it seems to working fine" so he reused it. I am still not convinced that the solenoid pack is the problem either. At any rate, the trans work was still needed as the center support was deteriorating and would have eventually failed and caused collateral damage. Had I not had the Code 62 issue, I would have blissfully ignorant of what was happening inside the trans.

Installed solenoid pack, no dice.

I noticed your truck is a 1994, does yours actually have an F4-prefix TECA installed?

It's about time for me to get my hands on one. Not to hijack the thread, but I have posted interest in the marketplace forum.

Last edited:

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed solenoid pack, no dice.

I noticed your truck is a 1994, does yours actually have an F4-prefix TECA installed?

It's about time for me to get my hands on one. Not to hijack the thread, but I have posted interest in the marketplace forum.

What makes you believe it's your TECA it could be as simple as TECA relay..!