Flex plate

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Which way does the flex plate face? Dished part towards the motor or away? Whats the purpose of the shim looking thing?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What flywheel are you talking about first. We have several types. I have 2 of the auto trans types. And for the shim question I don't follow you on that. Lets try this. The 2 part flexplate setup is this. First on the crank you place the 1 inch thick spacer. It will stay on the crank because its machined with a very tight fit. Then the flexplate is palced on the spacer. Then the small almost flat looking washer and the bolts go thru all this. The next type is the heavy cast iron with a thin plate. You need to align this so the 4 torque converter studs come thru at the right places. This setup also has the small washer type part. That flat flexplate part goes on with the dish area facing into the heavy cast iron flywheel. I hope this helps but if not continue to ask for help. Others are waiting to help.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Okay, I have the heavy plate with the thin plate. I'll have to wait till daylight to dig any extra parts up. I did find a washer with 10 holes in it. Also, theres a bolt broke off in the crank part. Looks like its been that way for a long time. I guess that wont affect anything.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Where does the washer go? Between the flexplate and block or between flexplate and smaller plate?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The steel washer you refer to is the last item in the assembly. It has the letters XMSN on the left side of it and "side" printed on the right side of it. This needs to be facing you so that you can read this. The XMSN is Fords work for transmission. This is just a stiffener plate for the spreading out of the bolt holding force. Hope this helps others too.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Cool! Thats helps out alot. Now Im gonna put it togther and pull that gasser out today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle