Flatbeds

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to get an aluminum bed for my 99 someday. My bed is so far in good shape, i noticed under it on the crossmembers it was rustin a lil. I would be able to use my truck more with a flat bed like hauling crates from our shop. Who makes aluminum flat beds?

Hillsboro makes nice one, This is the steelie I have on my '79, worth more than the truck:rotflmao

You must be registered for see images

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Ok Guys. need some opinions. i have the cross members in and gonna start working on the outer rails. Think I should have square corners or do angled? And why

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I think these corners look good.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just give it a little something.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say do the front corners square and the rear with a short angle, about like that hillsboro bed, definitely go with stake pockets so you can add sides easily (Im sure you want sides since it dumps). I suppose square on all four corners would make sides and a tailgate easiter, but I think I would make them angled a little.:dunno Oh and add lots of lights. :sly

What are you planning for a headache rack?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I would say do the front corners square and the rear with a short angle, about like that hillsboro bed, definitely go with stake pockets so you can add sides easily (Im sure you want sides since it dumps). I suppose square on all four corners would make sides and a tailgate easiter, but I think I would make them angled a little.:dunno Oh and add lots of lights. :sly

What are you planning for a headache rack?

I was think 45* angles. And they would be about 6" long.

For a headache rack I have 2x4 tubing shaped kinda like this /'''''''''\
................................................................................ l_____l

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
i like that idea the best are you going to have a rear apron on it like that hillsboro my dad has an aluminum hillsboro on an 01 chevy 3500 i really only like flatbeds when they are nessary but those hillsboros look nice

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
No rear apron. There is going to be 5" channel around the ouside and there is a 5" filler panel on the back the width of the frame so you dont see the frame is all

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Here is my progress from today
6 cross members cut to length and welded on. The front 2 needed to be notched for clearance of the hoist then plated for strength

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a dually bed, and have started to acculate the part to make her a dually, just need time. Dana 60 front and a dually 70 rear. I am so far over invested in this old girl, I just keep throwing money in it:idiot:
Matthew

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
heres my old one. i liked the 45* angles on the rear, no sharp edge to walk into.