Fixed my pyrometer...I think

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Travis, Dirtleg, all the rest of you guys that gave me advice on the pyro. My dad fixed it last night...and the crimp came loose yet again:mad: but I got it put back together. It now reads around 300-325 at idle, 350-550 driving around suburbia (45-50 mph, 0-2PSI boost) The only thing that has me concerned is the fact that it reads about 150-200 probably closer to a hair over 200 even with the truck off and cool. Does this mean I can't trust the gauge? Should it be recalibrated or replaced? If it is off is it likely to be too high or too low? Thanks,
JD

SKimballC

Reaction score
Your temps don't sound too far off from mine, though a tad higher, but if its showing a reading with your engine off it ain't right. Your gauge doesn't instill too much confidence if it isn't going to zero with the engine off.

As a reference point, my EGT's are around 250 at idle, 450 or so at 2-3 psi under acceleration, and on up to 1000 in the hills at an extended 5 psi on the interstate. All readings taken empty with what is probably slightly advanced timing and a turn or two too many on the fuel screw. My right foot NEVER touches the floor on the go pedal.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know it can't be quite right Shane, and maybe I should be saving up for a better pyro...in the meantime I am not living on the ragged edge by any means. Some more readings from today:
300-400 around town unless I'm climbing hills then its 500-550. On the interstate today I saw as high as 650 at 65-75mph and 2-3PSI boost. I have yet to see any boost #s higher than 3-4, then again I haven't had on a heavy load.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7