Fix? Need advice, please

Fix

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LittleLucy27

Reaction score
I have a 1991 F250 4x4 7.3 IDI with supposedly >50k on a rebuilt motor
The e4od trans is leaking from the pump seal
It has other symptoms, so let's assume it needs a full rebuild. Quoted with better parts based on needs from$2500-$3000
The motor sounds good and seems strong
My question is........ how do you decide/ justify the expenditure for the trans?
I bought the truck for$2000 several years ago
The trans cooler lines going to the radiator were leaking and rotted so I took it to a shop and had the trans flushed and the hoses replaced. The sad part is that the mech that did the work on a Thursday was anticipating his son's (5 yo) funeral the following Saturday. It was an uncomfortable situation, that day. Sooooo....... l get the truck home and it's leaking from the gasket on the pan. .....I find that the bolts are ALL finger tight, only. I could, with arthritic hands, turn each and every bolt. So l snug them up and call the shop.. they tell me to bring it in so that they can check the gasket's integrity. I do so only to get the truck home STILL LEAKING to find that they have WAAAAAAAY over filled it with trans fluid. Sooooooo back again for a drain and check. After this the front pump seal is leaking and l have nothing but trouble from then on. I really had a hard time being pushy and ******, due to the circumstances. Now I'm facing an expensive rebuild. Here's the deal.......I feel that the motor is strong and I love the truck, so......how do l figure out if it's worth the expense to rebuild the trans? If it were you, what would you do? Thank you for any and all advice!!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought mine for right at $5000 about 9 years ago. After IP, injectors, lift kit (because the pivot bracket on the d50 was very messed up), 3 radiators (finally got a 3 row champion), several water pumps (until I got a Motorcraft), and many other things totaling probably close to what I paid for the truck, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Easy to work on, reliable, License and insurance is much lower than anything newer. It's got over 230,000 miles (over 80,000 are mine) and planning on many more.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
It depends on what you want in a truck. My 1993 F250, IDI, Auto is the truck I picked and that is because it is what I wanted and needed. I would not be getting rid of it just because it needed something fixed. Some peoples justifications of "The truck isnt worth $X000.00" makes sense if you are just buying beaters to run for a year at a time, I am past that point in my life, and this truck is a workhorse that I plan to keep around as long as I can stand on my own 2 feet. (or at least a truck just like it!)

It also depends on what kind of service you can get in your area. Sounds like you are not able to do the work yourself, and if you cannot find someone reputable or trustworthy to keep it on the road then it may not be worth it to you. Food for Thought.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way to replace ANY 3/4 TON reliably for $3k...
As most will tell ya idi's are "cheap 2 keep" mine has less than 50 k orignal miles on the clock and will stay in the family.

Worst case buy a truck with a new tranny (guy rebuilds tranny wife makes him sell cuz its a pit) gut\swap and resell.

LittleLucy27

Reaction score
It depends on what you want in a truck.

The airstream in my avatar is what l bought the truck for. Pulled it like a dream (although the airstream pulls well anyway)
I put nice city mudders on it and replaced the rusted out bed (looks like hell now until I paint the black bed) crackheads stole the tailgate.......I really hate thieves :/
Its been sitting for a while due to finances. I have a bad neck so my projects have been left undone. I'm now weeding out and making tough (for me) decisions on what to sell to finance the trans repair. .....
I have a 1968 IH 1100c
1988 Toyota pickup 22r 4sp manual
1992 Honda accord that I picked up cheap to resell
And a 1967 Lifetime (first Minnie Winnie motorized rv)
The Honda is the only one I'm not attached to lol

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the E40D is somewhat of a pos transmission to begin with, and very expensive to rebuild. If you do decide to have it rebuilt, you’ll really need to make sure the shop knows what they are doing.
Having said that, money is money. Whether you keep your current truck, sell it and buy another 30 year old truck, you’ll be spending $ sooner or later with both options. Stuff will always break and need fixin. That’s the beauty of owning any vehicle. Worst investment money can buy lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online