First Road Trip in the IDI

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Over Memorial Day weekend I had the opportunity to use my 91 F250 to move a load of furniture on about a 200 mile round trip. It's the first longer trip I've taken my truck since I bought about a year ago. The truck is N/A with a Mini Moose injection pump that I also bought last summer. Like I said, the truck sees mostly short trips so the pump only has about 3000 miles on it. The truck performed perfect and got 16.3 MPG over the trip. It had a 10ft utility trailer on it as well. However, I did notice something that concerns me.

While cruising at ~65mph on the freeway, anytime I started to hit an incline I would start puffing black smoke. It wasn't huge clouds (it will if I romp on it at all) but still a constant stream even on a relatively small grade, unloaded. I haven't messed the IP at all as far as fuel. I did not replace the injectors when I got the pump because I wasn't sure if I was keeping the truck. Is it possible that they are popping so low that the timing is effectively very advanced? I simply lined the static marks up and truck ran fine. The engine clatter doesn't sound obnoxious or anything, little loud with the cold idle on but nothing over the top. None of the local diesel shops have the timing meters for this truck nor is there anyone in the registry within a few hundred miles of me. One thing I have noticed though; the truck never starts "instantly" when hot like I have heard so many other IDIs do. It almost like the starter has to "drag" the engine along for a couple seconds before it hits. Would advanced timing cause this too? I'm about to be pulling a larger boat this summer and don't want to melt anything down so I have a pyro on the way as well. Thanks for any help in advance!

You must be registered for see images attach

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air filter is good, replaced right around the time of the IP last summer. Just checked it again to be sure and you can definitely still see light through it. My intake is still original with the “soup bowl”. Would getting rid of this help?

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mini moose pump could naturally smoke some, only Mel would know how much. After putting a 1994 turbo set up on mine couple years back I couldn't go for long NA style again. Once my boost gets above 4 lbs of boost smoke goes away. If I am pulling and it drops to 3 or below hello smoky.

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that definitely may be the case. However, these trucks should start pretty instantly when hot right? I know timing by ear is a crapshoot anyways but I may try to retard it a tad and see what happens. I would think it’s gotta he fairly close to get that MPG though. I know a degree or two can make a big difference though

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter and cables were replaced last summer as well. Got custom cables made with ring terminals and have a new DB electrical starter (Nippo Denso style). The truck spins over really fast hot or cold. That’s what I mean when I say it almost feels like the starter is dragging the engine, Like the engine is trying to hit but takes a good second or two. It’s nothing crazy and I could definitely live with it, I’ve just seen guys that basically touch the key and the engine hits with one revolution of the engine. I was thinking if it were too advanced it may just be dumping too much fuel in while cranking and it takes it a second to ignite it. I know a rich mixture in the chamber is harder to ignite.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Timing is so important. Those lines have no meaning for timing. They were placed there when the engine was factory timed but...Now they are useless. Every pump gets rebuilt and timed differently. Call and ask Mel about this.. If you are capable of installing the injection pump you can also time this engine. I have a kent moore j33300 timing meter and kit. I have been renting them to members here for many years. PM me for details or read what you need to know in the forum.... Timing services..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7