Firewall flex, how much is to much...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Had my dad work the clutch while i was monitering the clutch master cylinder. i could see the MC move as he pressed and depressed the clutch 1/2" or so. is that to much, or is any flex to much?

is installing the re-enforcement kit hard? and which one would i use?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel has the TSB posted here I think. Most would tell you get the big kit if it has any flex at all, not cheap though, $200. I'm going to throw in the small kit I got from a member here when I convert to a manual. Hope its enough....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't really see any flex if everything is in order. Remember that the firewall crack repair, is just fixing the symptom and not the cause.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have the TSB if you would like it, shoot me a pm with your email. Also, I don't agree with Mel, but we've beaten that horse to death!

If you have any flex, you need the large kit per the TSB. Also, check with fordparts.com as they had the big kit for $114.95 shipped to my door. My local stearlership was $238 plus shipping!

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
I'd like to flesh out Mel's comment a little:
Agnem Shouldn't really see any flex if everything is in order. Remember that the firewall crack repair, is just fixing the symptom and not the cause.
The flex, heavy pedal effort, and possible cracking is from the throwout bearing not sliding on the input shaft smoothly. If everything is clean, smooth, and lubricated the pedal effort is surprisingly light and you aren't flexing the firewall noticeably. I'd recommend pulling the inspection plate from the bottom of the bellhousing and looking at the bearing as it moves. Ideally you would reach up with a long small paintbrush and lube the shaft. Who knows maybe you have a throwout bearing with a grease zerk already installed!
Anyway, the kit is a fix for failing to maintain the truck. Save your cash if it isn't already cracked, and grease that shaft!:thumbsup:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember what Scott means, is that he feels the firewall will crack eventually on it's own, regardless of the drivetrain. The point I want to make is that clutch/slave issues have been a contributing factor.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I'd like to flesh out Mel's comment a little:

The flex, heavy pedal effort, and possible cracking is from the throwout bearing not sliding on the input shaft smoothly. If everything is clean, smooth, and lubricated the pedal effort is surprisingly light and you aren't flexing the firewall noticeably. I'd recommend pulling the inspection plate from the bottom of the bellhousing and looking at the bearing as it moves. Ideally you would reach up with a long small paintbrush and lube the shaft. Who knows maybe you have a throwout bearing with a grease zerk already installed!
Anyway, the kit is a fix for failing to maintain the truck. Save your cash if it isn't already cracked, and grease that shaft!:thumbsup:

good call, but for ***** n giggles im gunna save up for the re-enforcement anyway. mine isnt flexing much, but i dont want it to crack later.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've often wondered if you could make a homemade firewall reinforcement. We had a plate made for my dad's Isuzu P'up when that firewall cracked, but that is a mechanical clutch system totally different animal. Nothing too fancy.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
good call, but for ***** n giggles im gunna save up for the re-enforcement anyway. mine isnt flexing much, but i dont want it to crack later.

Well, I didn't want to seem disrespectful to Mel or others. I will buy that greasing "might" help, but the argument I have always made is that Ford is the only one with this problem. They basically used to thin of metal, then put a reinforcement plate on there that separates. My clutch system was a mess and took quite a bit of time and money to fix, correctly. The firewall does not like to be welded. While I am no professional welder, I can hold my own and the firewall becomes brittle. Mine was welded, I cut it out and fixed it right. I now have zero flex and my clutch works. I haven't greased anything either! :)

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score

You stated 1/2", that is as much or more than mine. The difference between pre-kit and now is night and day! How does it shift sitting at idle once hot? Mine didn't like to and all but refused to go into gear without raking, not good! I was fortunate and ended up with two used plates. I passed one on to a member here, but did contact fordparts.com and was quoted the price I stated. Not sure what they are now. I have installed quite a few of them as the guy I used to moonlight with, a retired Ford service manager, refused to work on Ford trucks. They all ended up in my bay! :) I didn't mind, it all paid by the hour and the same! Would rather do 10 of these than one heater core in a Mercury Sable!!!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Should also add, email is outbound! If anyone else wants the .pdf file, shoot me a pm. I keep it handy! :)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of what the firewall kit (big/small) looks like? I've got something on my firewall near the clutch master with metal plates and what seems to be a million bolts.LOL It was there when I got the truck.

Heath

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of what the firewall kit (big/small) looks like? I've got something on my firewall near the clutch master with metal plates and what seems to be a million bolts.LOL It was there when I got the truck.

Heath

The TSB has some sketches, want it? pm me an email addy!