Firewall Flex Fixing- Help

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing about the High Pedal Effort. Where should I start. I know the clutch slave and master have been replaced. That leaves me with the throwout bearing and clutch forks???? Is that right. Can I replace the clutch fork with the trans still installed, or is that a pull the tranny job?? Occationally I hear a clicking when I depress the clutch....it feels as if something is binding.... Any info would be helpful. Thanks..
We're stripping down a couple of trucks this weekend at my shop. if you can make the trip down, I can take a look at it for you. You got my number, call before coming down.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T-19's are famous for the TOB drying up on the tranny input shaft sleeve, and for the clutch fork wearing in such a way that it pushes the bearing crooked. This causes the TOB to gall (scrap away) at the input shaft resulting in high pedal effort and a ruined input shaft sleeve. You need to replace the Fork, the pivot ball, and inspect the sleeve for wear and replace if necessary. Best thing is once you get it all squared away, you need to lube your input sleeve on a maintanance schedule. I'd say every 10K. This can be done easily by yanking the fork and ball, and sticking your hand in there with a rag to remove all the old grease and slather on some new.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
These trucks are also famous for a firewall made of two layers of scrap metal that was never secured with more than a few spot welds allowing them to separate and crack. While I believe the grease will help, as long as it is kept away from the clutch, no one will ever convince me it is the cause, if it were, this problem would not be isolated to only certain years and Ford - ever see a GM or Dodge with a cracked firewall? I haven't in my 25 years of turning wrenches both for a living and a hobby.

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info. Towcat, I will be giving you a call Saturday...Hopefully you can help me shed some light on my problem. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online