Firewall Flex Fixing- Help

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Over the past few months, the clutch on my truck has become more and more stubborn. Today I had someone push in the clutch pedal while I checked the firewall. Sure enough, the clutch master moved a decent amount.

Time for the LARGE firewall reinforcement kit. I have read a few old posts; most everyone recommends doing the large reinforcement and getting it out of the way. I have all the part numbers, but was curious to how big of a job this is? Is this like a weekend task, or a few hour job. Due to time commitments at work, and space to work on the truck I might end up having this done somewhere. (CA BayArea)

If it is something that I could take care of in a few hours with no special tools I would be more than happy to tackle the job.

Thanks in advance for the help, take care.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHA I was just about to post this man!

My question was gonna be, because I couldnt' find a good picture in any of the old posts I searched...

..what does the large kit look like, and how can I identify it in a boneyard? If I find one in the boneyard, how much crap do I have to remove to take it? Like the steering column and friends...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If you guys want to send me an email addy, via pm, I can email you a copy of the TSB for this problem. I believe it has a few pictures and will definetely help with the install.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen the TSB in the FAQ section... that's the AllData one, right?

It doesn't build a very good picture in my head though. I'd like to be able to identify one in the junkyard. It's a plate, correct? Does it get installed under the dash, or outside on the firewall?

Do you happen to have a photograph of one of these suckers installed?

I'm gonna take another stab reading that thing. Maybe if I actually read the instructions, it'll make more sense.

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just crawled under the dash to inspect the area. I cannot find a crack anywhere. I remember reading somewhere that a little movement of the clutch master is normal??? Either way it is moving....should I simply for now install with the small reinforcement kit for now and see if there is any improvement since I cannot see a crack>?? I am guessing it just started flexing a little.

Scott, thanks very much for the email.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought at first mine was fine too! But when I crawled under when it was sunny out, and moved the pedal, and the right angle, I could see light come in.

When my clutch was pushed by a helper, and I looked into the engine pay, I could certainly see my master cylinder move. And when I push the pedal myself, my brake pedal and steering column move ever so slightly as well.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
I did not have a visible crack like you are thinking on mine. The part that split was were the two pieces of firewall come together above the clutch master inside the cab. It was the seam that split. The whole vertical part of the firewall was moving independantly of the top. Also there was a crack between the holes where the master mounts but you could only see that when you took the master off. Go with the large kit, it is pretty easy to install and you will never have to worry about it again. When I talked to the guy that sold me the kit, he had done alot of these and said that he rarely ever used the small kit.

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. After taking a look a the TSB I do not think it will be that bad. I will be going with the large kit.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Done quite a few myself, but it has been a few years. Mine was the worst I have ever seen, mainly because of two things, one, the po tried to weld the crappy metal and two, he didn't do anything else to fix the problem, just kept driving it.

You may not see the cracks, but if you have any movement, don't bother with the little kit, at least that is my opinion. From everything I have read, if you see movement, use the large kit. While I haven't read the TSB I sent you, I believe it even says the same thing. The small kit is a pre-movement reinforcement, not a repair.

Attachments

• Large firewall repair plate pic.jpg
    Large firewall repair plate pic.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 43

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That picture above is making it make a lot more sense to be. The three holer piece goes in the cowl, and the big plate goes under the dash, correct?

I'm heading out to the boneyard tomorrow, gonna see if I can find it for cheap...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three words for ya....

High

Pedal

Effort

Remember that the cracked firewall is a symptom of a larger problem.

squeekyM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing about the High Pedal Effort. Where should I start. I know the clutch slave and master have been replaced. That leaves me with the throwout bearing and clutch forks???? Is that right. Can I replace the clutch fork with the trans still installed, or is that a pull the tranny job?? Occationally I hear a clicking when I depress the clutch....it feels as if something is binding.... Any info would be helpful. Thanks..