Fired the truck up today!!

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got the truck put back together enough to start today:thumbsup: !! It has new injectors, glow plugs, and a rebuilt ip( AKA Moose Pump:D ). Its been over a month since I've heard it, and I think I was going into diesel withdraw LOL cookoo . I figured that I would have to crank on it for a while since all the fuel system was off from the tank to the ip. I don't think I will ever go back to a mechanical pump after having an electric pump. I fired up the electric pump and primed the filter and ip and cranked the engine until fuel came out the loose injector lines and then tightened them down, let the glow plugs run for about 5 seconds and then VROOM, started in less than 1 second;Sweet . It was music to my ears :love: :love: . I couldn't believe how much different it sounded than before, it was much louder and sounded more like a diesel. It smoked for about 3 seconds and then cleared up and ran very smooth, so I started looking everything over real good while it was running, and saw a bunch of oil running down the driveway :***: -cuss , so I shut the engine off real quick to see what was wrong. The oil was coming from the oil cooler, -cuss I just put new o-rings in and figured one had gotten pinched, so I ended up pulling the oil cooler again and took the end off that was leaking. I got the end off and saw the o-ring was in perfect shape and I'm really wondering what's going on now. Then I saw a large piece of paint with rust floping around by the end of the cooler that happened to fall off. Looked at the cooler and saw a little hole in it;Pissed ;Pissed -cuss . I couldn't believe that the cooler had rusted through!! But I ended up getting the hole welded shut and will see what happens tomorrow. Here is a picture of the little hole in the cooler. Sorry :sorry: for the long post but I had to vent somewhere ;Pissed .

Attachments

• 54.JPG
    54.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 32

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch, your making me glad I grabbed a new oem oil cooler off ebay a few years back.

In your pictures, is that a new plastic tank? Stock size?

One last comment, you can tell this is a "moose" pump because it has antlers.

Last edited:

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch, your making me glad I grabbed a new oem oil cooler off ebay a few years back.

In your pictures, is that a new plastic tank? Stock size?

One last comment, you can tell this is a "moose" pump because it has antlers.

The fuel tank is a MTS stock size plastic tank. As for the moose pump I never thought of it having antlers LOL , but it looks to be a nice 8 pointer :rotflmao :rotflmao .

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao

That's a good one!

Looks like we will have to add "sandblasting the cooler" to the list of recommended best practices. Sorry you had to go through that pain, but glad you got it running! ;Sweet

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope the oil cooler works out for ya. If it's a no-go, I have spares. I'll sell ya one if you need.

Jeremy thanks for the offer! I will see what happens as soon as I get new gaskets.

Looks like we will have to add "sandblasting the cooler" to the list of recommended best practices.

I have to agree with you Mel. Just because the cooler is leaking don't always mean it's the o-rings.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i painted mine before re-gasketing it, to be honest i didn't know it came apart till i got to this site! LOL i guess when i tear it down to reseal it i'll blast it too...

-Jon

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
just be glad you cought it now with the tools still warm and not a week later goinf down the highway somewhere. :eek:

you will have to know how well it moves now.;Sweet

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo!!

The oil cooler doesn't leak any more. I got the hole welded shut very carefully and put back on and no more leaks for now. So now I can move onto other things like mounting the intercooler and the exhaust system.