Finally bought one!

Etcetera

Reaction score
I guess I chose poorly. Broke down on way home. Stopped to get food. Restarted. Ran for a few seconds then died. Won't restart. I know it's fuel but I have zero tools to do anything. Im guessing lift pump or broken pickup. I guess is part of the adventure of buying an old vehicle.

I did forget to wait for the wait to start light to go off on the restart when it ran for a few seconds, but I don't think that would cause it, or would it?

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was your tank below 1/4 tank? If so, that could easily be your issue. To check if it's a fuel issue, just take off the fuel filter to check if it's full of full, if not, you know it's a fuel supply issue. An easy way to determine if it's actually getting fuel, is have someone crank the engine while you hold open the schrader valve on the fuel filter housing (with filter back on) and see if any fuel comes out. You will likely have to crank from more than a couple seconds at a time, probably like 5-10 seconds.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Does it keep aggressively trying to start? Are the fuel return lines on the top wet looking? You may have air intrusion. Another possibility is the injection pump is over heated.

Someone i knew once had a 7.3 where it would take a half hour to restart. After that, it ran as it always did

Etcetera

Reaction score
Got it home on a tow truck. Thank God for AAA. It was right around 1/4 tank. Im sure it's just not getting fuel. I'll mess with it after work tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

On a side note, it has an electric pump and a fuel heat exchanger. Hopefully whoever was running oil did their research. I didn't see them before. The good thing is I plan on running oil so hopefully the existing stuff works. It also has a screw on fuel filter for each tank. Tucked away underneath. Didn't see those either. Those need to be changed. Looks like they have been there a while.

It ran great on the way home. I think it'll end up being a good truck. Just gotta figure out the quirks.

Etcetera

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm sure the pickups are broke. Checked the filter, it was not full with diesel. Put 12 gallons of diesel in it, cracked the injector lines, pulled cold advance solenoid wire (read that helps speed up priming, idk) and cranked for about 10 seconds. It started to catch so I stopped and tightened them all and plugged in cold advance. Started right up. Ran rough for a few seconds and cleared up. Was very easy. Stuck a spare 5/8 wrench and flashlight in the glove box, just in case...

Etcetera

Reaction score
Topped off the tank, about 15.25 mpg on my daily commute to work. 9 miles each way. It has 4.10's. I'm happy, the whole point of getting this truck was to save on fuel over my 99 chevy with 454. It's doing that easily.

Attachments

• f350clean.jpg
    f350clean.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:

Etcetera

Reaction score
I do want to put an electric pump on. I was mistaken before. It was a solenoid valve that I thought was a fuel pump. It had a complete Greasecar kit on it that was unhooked from everything. 2 solenoid valves, filter with coolant wrap heater, and control box.

Thanks for the link, Anaheim is just a few miles away from here and that address is less than a mile from where I work!

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Topped off the tank, about 15.25 mpg on my daily commute to work. 9 miles each way. It has 4.10's. I'm happy, the whole point of getting this truck was to save on fuel over my 99 chevy with 454. It's doing that easily.

That's the nice thing about these trucks. When I first got mine I was expecting maybe 10-12 mpgs, and was quite surprise to find out I was averaging 15-18mpgs.

Etcetera

Reaction score
I've got to make dropping the tanks a priority. On the front tank I will not be able to restart if I have less than 2/3 a tank and park in my drive way, which has a decent slope to it. Good news is it only took a couple minutes to prime it.

Picking up a clean rear bumper from an 89 after work tomorrow. As far as I can tell it will fit, even though there are different part numbers.

Looking for a factory, non roll a long, front seat. Preferably buckets.

Got radio installed, along with new speakers. Removed the factory amp.

Looking for a good spot to stick a sub woofer. Maybe build it into a center console, or squeeze one in behind the rear seat. idk. Not much room.

Make a highway run long enough to get a mpg rough number. Just couldn't manage to keep it under 2k rpm. About 16.5mpg at 70ish. 2300-2400 rpm. I'm sure a 3.55 gear set would do wonders. Need to keep an eye out for a whole axle with that ratio.