Fan Clutch

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different clutches engage at different temps. N/A IDIs tend to engage at like 220F coolant temps; Turbo-spec clutches engage a lot lower - around 200F coolant temps.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just purchased a Motorcraft YB467 unit for $65 shipped. I will let you know how it goes when I receive it and install it..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i too noticed my fan comes on more frequently with the new alu radiator installed. I'm good with that. that means the cooling system is working. :D

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i too noticed my fan comes on more frequently with the new alu radiator installed. I'm good with that. that means the cooling system is working. :D

Really? Just cruising down the freeway at 2500 rpm with the A/c on? Mine will engage more than freewheel and for 10 minutes at a time depending on load, even the slightest incline. Of course down hill, it freewheels more.

Reaction score
I have a Champion 4-row, a new Motorcraft clutch, and a Motorcraft thermostat. Mine will run 195-200 all day long (probe in the overtemp port) unless I'm running it hard, like romping it up a hill. It's been 90+ degrees here for at least a month. With the AC off, I don't ever hear the clutch kick in. With the AC on, the clutch runs on and off all the dang time, but the temps still stay nice and cool. My best guess is the condenser kicks out enough heat to trigger the clutch, but then the fan pushes so much more air that it cools itself right back down. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The clutch didn't used to be this active when I had the Champion 3 row, but the 4 row seems to have made a difference. The core is that much closer to the thermal spring in the clutch, so I guess that makes sense.

Mike

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The clutch didn't used to be this active when I had the Champion 3 row, but the 4 row seems to have made a difference. The core is that much closer to the thermal spring in the clutch, so I guess that makes sense.

Mike

Now that is an interesting observation. I wonder what the distance difference is and if that’s enough to make much difference. I have a 3 row champion and I swear I’ve never heard the fan roar even with my temp gauge at uncomfortable. They didn’t have 4 cores when I bought mine. [emoji849]

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to test a fan clutch?

If it isn't leaking anywhere and you can hear it first thing in the morning after an overnight cool down, It should be working.. You should hear it after starting it first thing and it should taper off right away..

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC condenser puts out a lot of heat cooling down refrigerant.

Yeah maybe , however my other vehicle's fans mostly just freewheel on the freeway. The truck's fan sounds like a jet taking off on the freeway and you can really feel the power loss.

I'm going to install that new Motorcraft that is supposed to arrive Thursday and my other 3 row aluminum radiator and give it whirl..

Last edited:

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The test is only a lock up test, and since yours is doing a fine job of that there isnt a need to test it.
But it's to put cardboard in front of the radiator and cut a hole about the size of the fan clutch right in its air path. Then run it till it locks or doesnt lock gets into the 230 range. That's the test.