Fan Clutch

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for the fan clutch to keeping engaging on the freeway with no load? Mine engages more than it is disengaged and I know it is working because it is very loud and robs a little power.

It has a 2 row 1" aluminum core radiator and is full of coolant, timed correctly etc.

Just seems mine is running hotter than usual.

The temperature outside is 105 as well. thanks

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It depends on your coolant temperature. A two row radiator doesn't sound like it's big enough to me. The 1" core seems a little on the thin side too. Factor in the 105 air temp and the extra stress of cooling the evaporator down, and I could see where your fan clutch could stay engaged so much of the time, even empty.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on your coolant temperature. A two row radiator doesn't sound like it's big enough to me. The 1" core seems a little on the thin side too. Factor in the 105 air temp and the extra stress of cooling the evaporator down, and I could see where your fan clutch could stay engaged so much of the time, even empty.
sorry, it is a 2 inch thick with 2 1 inch rows

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What degree thermostat do you have? If the fan clutch is cycling like that under low load, you can often stop it by putting in a lower temp thermostat

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An idi by design will always run hotter than direct injection. Get a real temp gauge on there and see what’s happening, the stock fan engages between 240-260*. Much too hot imo

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That highway engagement was common in one I had. If I rememeber it has a 190 thermostat and I changed it to a 160 to stop it......or maybe it was a 210 and I changed it to a 190?
It was more than a decade ago, but regardless it took care of the issue.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That highway engagement was common in one I had. If I rememeber it has a 190 thermostat and I changed it to a 160 to stop it......or maybe it was a 210 and I changed it to a 190?
It was more than a decade ago, but regardless it took care of the issue.

Thank you much, I will try it. I am not sure if I can buy the Motorcraft thermostat in different temperatures, but I will look.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth: I have a NOS Motorcraft fan clutch installed on my truck. When it is hot, and I have the AC running, the clutch is locking up even though coolant temp. may be in the 205°-210° range. At slower speeds, like going through town, it also locks up with the AC on. A lot of heat must coming through from the AC condenser, even though the truck is not under much load. Climbing a hill with AC on and truck unloaded will also cause to the clutch to lock, but at higher highway speeds on the flat it will not be locked. It seems to lock sooner than the 240° because my coolant temp. never gets that high, but certainly there is a lot of heat that needs to be shed off that AC condenser too.

By the way, it was my understanding that there is only one thermostat that works correctly in these engines and that is the Motorcraft or IH thermostat. I believe it is only available in one temp - 192°.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you much, I will try it. I am not sure if I can buy the Motorcraft thermostat in different temperatures, but I will look.

I would not run a cooler thermostat in it. Diesels use heat to fire the fuel, no sparkplugs you know. In cooler weather it's not going to run well with a cooler thermostat. Like was mentioned, the factory fan does not come on until 230 or so. So the thermostat should not be in the equation, it opens at a much lower temp.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rockauto says the clutch engages about 170 , or 30 degrees lower than engine temperature. Maybe that's why it engages so much? I need a 200 degree clutch maybe..

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you post the part number or a screenshot? No idi clutch that I know of engaged that early