Fan clutch operation

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While towing our trailer (about 6500 lbs total) from Dallas to Arkansas last saturday I noticed what sounded like the engine fan speeding up and slowing back down periodically. I'm certain it was the fan clutch. The engine temp never got past the O in nOrmal. It did it on the grades more than any other time and as the evening got cooler it happened less and less. The engine temp also dropped slightly over the course of the day/evening as well.

So, is this normal operation or do I have a fan clutch that is on its last legs ? :eek:

Thanks,

Brad

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BKahler said:
While towing our trailer (about 6500 lbs total) from Dallas to Arkansas last saturday I noticed what sounded like the engine fan speeding up and slowing back down periodically. I'm certain it was the fan clutch. The engine temp never got past the O in nOrmal. It did it on the grades more than any other time and as the evening got cooler it happened less and less. The engine temp also dropped slightly over the course of the day/evening as well.

So, is this normal operation or do I have a fan clutch that is on its last legs ? :eek:

Thanks,

Brad
Were you running the A/C by any chance? If you were then the fan was locking up due to temps in the condenser and your water temp would not show much difference. Never mind the dash gauge put a real gauge in and watch it as I almost lost my engine due to the water sending unit being defective and gauge was reading low untill I hit somewhere around 230* and then it was just showing around M in normal.............Jim

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LUCKY_LARUE60 said:
Were you running the A/C by any chance? If you were then the fan was locking up due to temps in the condenser and your water temp would not show much difference. Never mind the dash gauge put a real gauge in and watch it as I almost lost my engine due to the water sending unit being defective and gauge was reading low untill I hit somewhere around 230* and then it was just showing around M in normal.............Jim

At times yes I was running the A/C especially during the early part of the trip. Outside temps were in the low 70s and the inside of the truck was getting a little warm.

I had been thinking about replacing the oil and water temp with some aftermarket add-ons because I don't trust the stock gauges.

This is my first diesel vehicle and I'm still not sure what is "normal" when it comes to these engines. I've had a 92 F150 with a 300 6 cylinder and I'm finding this truck with a diesel is a totally different animal. :Sly

I'll watch for fan noise again on our trip friday and see how things go.

Thanks,

Brad

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It sounds like the fan is working just fine, but as the guys already said get a gauge (Isspro, autometer) that will show you real #.

Also check the archives faq's section for 6.9 & 7.3 it'll help a lot.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its working as design. I have a modified fan clutch and when pulling some grades the temp will go down because the fan kicks in. Kinda funny looking at it but I know my truck and yes I have Isspro gages showing the true condition of whats happening.