fan clutch and A/C

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Is the clutch on the fan for a 1994 electronic controlled? The reason i ask is when my A/C is on the fan kicks in alot more. Even if i idle it for 10 min and go again the fan is engaged although the motor cooled off. Thanks

DmaxEter

Meet Mike Hawk
Reaction score
No, Its just the extra heat from the AC condensor making the clutch come on more probably. It has a bimetalic coil on the front of the clutch and it is sensitive to heat. It expands and contracts with heat allowing the veins in the clutch to either get oil supply and lock up or not and free spin.When the AC is on you have the added heat of the condensor up front heating things up and its causing the clutch to cycle mor regular. God forbid they ever put an electronic viscous fan clutch on the trucks :puke:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
how many folks have had to replace their fan clutch? just curious...

mine seems to be working fine at 110K but i have a jeep that i ditched the fan clutch all together after i had replaced about 3 fan clutches, after a short horrible experience with electric fans I put in a aluminum spacer and flex fan in it that has worked flawlessly .. needless to say i don't have much faith in a fan clutch of any type or electric fan unless they are on a race car, if flex a lite ever makes a reverse flex fan big enough for a PSD i'll be putting one on mine that day

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
jlayne said:
how many folks have had to replace their fan clutch? just curious...

Mine is original but I'm wondering what are the signs that a fan clutch is going south? My truck seems to be running a bit hotter these days (used to run at N but now runs between R and M). There is no leaking/weeping from my water pump and my t-stat is new.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Mine is original but I'm wondering what are the signs that a fan clutch is going south? My truck seems to be running a bit hotter these days (used to run at N but now runs between R and M). There is no leaking/weeping from my water pump and my t-stat is new.

when my jeep fan clutch went bad it would get hotter than a preachers ****** (overheat) at a stop light or if it sat at idle but as soon as your got it moving down the road would cool off (it was getting airflow to the radiator) to normal temps... i'm assuming a powerstroke would do the same thing... although you wouldn't know untill it was REALLY hot thanks to the stock idot gauges

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
A diesel gets hot when u drive it and cools off when u idle most times

true as does most vehicles, but its not supposed to boil over when it idles if its operating correctly :thumbsup:

wftree

Reaction score
Having mine replace as we speak 150,000 miles My fan only comes on while towing, it never comes on when I am empty.

While towing mine would engage and disengage every 10 seconds when she got hot. Jus would not stay locked up.

OEM $292
NAPA $272

Went with OEM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7