Factory 1994 ATS Turbo

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a chance of getting a 94 factory turbo off of a pickup in a wrecking yard for $250. Sounds like a good deal even if I have to have it rebuilt. I figure it shouldn't be any big deal installing it on my "91" 7.3.. Would appreciate any of your thoughts on this. I'm sure this subject has been beat to death but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for on "search". Thank You. Al

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
250 is a steal, even if it needs rebuilt, Even if the wrecking yard said it was in good shape I would still have it rebuilt by a professional, I wish I could find a deal like that. There should be no problem at all bolting it right on your 91'. Just my 2 pennies. -Brad-

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
250 is a steal, even if it needs rebuilt, Even if the wrecking yard said it was in good shape I would still have it rebuilt by a professional, I wish I could find a deal like that. There should be no problem at all bolting it right on your 91'. Just my 2 pennies. -Brad-

Thanks. That sounded like a steal to me also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the bolts are very important because most of them are aircraft strength. Just make sure you take EVERYTHING that this "kit" has. As posted there are plenty of large and smaller parts to a complete system. Whats wrong with the motor and what are the stamped serial numbers on the top of the block near the coolant sender on the drivers side of the motor. I may be interested in the block if its really a turbo block.....:D

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are we talking the turbo itself or the whole system? There are a lot of big and little parts that you need for it all to work.

Good question. The turbo is still on the (blown) engine. Hasn't been touched. It says ATS on the filter cover (not Ford). I don't think they'll let me pull the turbo for insurance purposes. If I could jump up on there I could see what I needed but I'm now 50 miles away from the yard. What do I need to be sure to get off of the truck for a clean installion without too many headaches? About the only thing I'll need to change, as far as I know is # Move the GP controller #2 Modify the seam at the firewall for an aftermarket down pipe#3 Get some good heat shielding between the turbo and firewall... I already have a pyro that came with my Stinger system. I'll throw a boost gage on there. Your thoughts MR. R ?

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
icanfixall
Bad rod as far as I know. Don't know if it's a "turbo motor". I'll find out for you when I go down Saturday the 7th. Serial # etc.. Al

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You're going to need the Y pipe, crossover pipe up pipe ( which may be part of the Y pipe on that one ) and down pipe , along with the pedestal , oil line, air cleaner, preferably the driver's side valve cover so you can have the complete CDR/breather setup.

You might want to make sure that you relay this information to the boneyard BEFORE they start yanking parts, because when you ask for a turbo at a full service boneyard, the yard man will generally go after it with a torch and cut just the turbo out, rendering the rest of the needed parts useless :eek:

---------Robert

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if an extra 50 bucks will get by the "for insurance purposes".

Junkyard pullers will do whatever it takes to remove parts in the least amount of time. Often the "hotwrench" and a hammer will be all they are working with.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
See if an extra 50 bucks will get by the "for insurance purposes".

Junkyard pullers will do whatever it takes to remove parts in the least amount of time. Often the "hotwrench" and a hammer will be all they are working with.

$50 may let you buy the whole blown motor, if you aren't allowed to remove yourself, I would ask about buying the whole thing...who knows, if it is blown, they might be reasonable on it.

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the good advice. I'll let you know how this works out.. I'll also get that serial number for you, icanfixall. Thanks again guys.. Al

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hiwayman ,what yard has it, I know most of the ones here and can get around the insurance thing, also where are you? And no im not gonna scoop it from you, and btw if you bring it over we can get a kit and rebuild it at my place or my buddies in portland.

As said it is imperative that you get all the bits, I have been tracking down the ford parts that are available and buying them up, they are getting scarce and expensive.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I thought the Factory Ford motors had the word FORD printed on the filter cover and not ATS....:dunno Thanks for the serial number offer again..:D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if its a wastegated system, its the exact same setup except that the aftermarket system had a real downpipe not the flattened sorry excuse for a downpipe that Ford used to clear the firewall more easily. That also means that the block is almost certainly a standard 7.3 IDI and not a true turbo motor. That doesn't matter for your purposes though.