F450 Transmission woes

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the F450 I got just started shifting for crap. It's a 5 speed manual. To get it in first i have to stab the pedal and shove it in gear. I'm thinking air in the line but I'm not sure. Supposedly it has a new clutch in January. I've driven it maybe 30 miles total.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It could be if the slave cylinder or master cylinder was replaced too. It could be wear in the linkages from the pedals to the master cylinder. Also wear in the pivot bushings could cause this too. To check for wear, lay on your back on the driver's side floor and watch all of the linkages and bushings while you work the pedal by hand. Another thing to check is if the fluid in the master cylinder is low. If it is, it may not be working the slave cylinder enough.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I'll try all those. What's the best way to bleed the system?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Unfortunately there is no easy way. I've tried to bleed the system before and it never seemed to work well for me. I usually just end up pumping the crap out of the clutch pedal until both legs and my right arm are wore out. Just because the fluid level might be low, you won't have any air in there if the level is still above the bottom of the reservoir. I'd keep the bleeding as a last resort after you've eliminated the other possibilities. Without seeing the old clutch that came out, it's hard to say if it actually needed to be replaced or if it was just replaced because of wear in the linkages.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Since it’s an 89, I’d also check the firewall for movement when the clutch is pushed. Ford didn’t “fix” the firewall issue until the OBS (92+) trucks. The Bull (83-86) and Brick (87-91) can have the firewall crack around the master, so when you push the pedal the entire firewall moves before the push rod pushes in on the master, effectively reducing how much the slave is actually moved, vs how far the pedal is pushed.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added fluid and that seems to help. I can't find any leaks anywhere

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have to add fluid to the clutch on my 85 F250 about once a year. I can't find any leaks on it either.

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a related note, isn't there someone on here who makes the firewall repair plate?

IDI87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool I remember reading about it some months ago. Off hand do you know if the alternator for a 87 6.9 will work on the 89 7.3?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that they could all interchange until they went serpentine belt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70