F250 D60 Swap

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I got an axle with 3.55's under my truck now, but my dually rearend has 4.10's in it. We figgured out that my D60 is a 3.54 (I am going to yank the cover to be sure, and put fresh lube in as well) When it comes time to do the rearend swap (I might need to buy brakes for it) and I haul the 4.10 gearset out I will let you know what kinda shape it in if you still want it. Most likely, I will have no use for the 4.10's.

Knight_3000

Reaction score
I got an axle with 3.55's under my truck now, but my dually rearend has 4.10's in it. We figgured out that my D60 is a 3.54 (I am going to yank the cover to be sure, and put fresh lube in as well) When it comes time to do the rearend swap (I might need to buy brakes for it) and I haul the 4.10 gearset out I will let you know what kinda shape it in if you still want it. Most likely, I will have no use for the 4.10's.

Ok kool i had mine open 1 time to do a gasket right after i bought it and did a tooth count.. mathematically it came out to something like a 3.5460 (or something like that, its been a while) when i fed it thru the calculator so u likely have the same gearset as i do in mt IFS and sterling axles

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, tomorrow is D day! T- 25 hours to the big teardown and swap.

I am going to get camera batteries tonight, and take down some notes on the install for anyone else who wants to do this swap.

If anyone wants any measurements taken, let me know before I get rippin' and tearin' and I would be happy to write them down.

I won't be putting the DS in fron the F350 (double cardigan joint) until I have it properly rebuilt with 3 new joints. Most likely sometime at the end of this month, but until then I am going to try and keep my F250 front DS hooked up in case I find myself somewheres I shouldn't be.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put the d60 in mine I found that the f250 driveshaft worked perfectly and was just the right length.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The D60 is hanging under the truck - I stopped to have supper with the family but Goofy is going like a mad **** out there.:D.....His chubby grows with every bolt he tighten's.:D :rotflmao. Going good so far, no big issues.;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, so the swap went pretty well. Started at about 2:45 this afternoon and I drove the truck home at :715 this evening. It was about a 4 and a 1/2 hour job, and this included changing a caliper. Bigrigtech helpin' me almost all of the way! Thanks again for the help!

First, the D50 was cursed and swore at a couple times, and then removed. After the wheels and brakes, and steering linkages, the pivot bolts were first to go. Then the U bolts came off and one piece at a time the D50 was dragged, kicking and screaming, from the truck and thrown into an ever growing pile. Some of them bolts wouldn't have come out without our secret weapon!

You must be registered for see images attach

Once all the Dana 50 junk was out, the pivot brackets, the springs and shackles, then the process of hanging the D60 begins...

First, we had to do a small frame repair that we never noticed before. The truck must have been hit on the right hand side, it tweaked the front frame horn a little, but nothing serious.

On goes the track bar bracket, which does bolt to existing holes already in the engine crossmember as many have pointed out before. ;Sweet

Then it was simply reverse the process. Install springs into the D50 locations, roll the axle under and finger tight the U bolts up, bolt the track bar back into place on the axle, hook up the steering (RIGHT NOW MY WHEEL IS 90* off-cuss, but that is getting fixed RIGHT quick!!)

The truck handles much differently I find, it's tighter, repsonds better...but it's still rough as hell!

Does this mean I have an F350 now? Just wait till the dually swap happens!!:sly

Knight_3000

Reaction score
I was Asking Earlier about Parts For My 88 F250 I still am Unsure If I have a D44HD or a D50 Or a Mix of the 2 But I do have a D60 Here that I am Wanting to Install.....

My Question Is this What if Anything Is Interchangeable Between the 3 I am Primarily Wondering if Gear set and Carrier out of My IFS (I think It is a Small Hub D50 But I have been told It is a D44HD) Will Swap Into the D60??? If They swap I will Put the D60 in this weekend LOL :rotflmao

BTW Goofy it Looks Good and Thanks for the Pics

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I was Asking Earlier about Parts For My 88 F250 I still am Unsure If I have a D44HD or a D50 Or a Mix of the 2 But I do have a D60 Here that I am Wanting to Install.....

My Question Is this What if Anything Is Interchangeable Between the 3 I am Primarily Wondering if Gear set and Carrier out of My IFS (I think It is a Small Hub D50 But I have been told It is a D44HD) Will Swap Into the D60??? If They swap I will Put the D60 in this weekend LOL :rotflmao

BTW Goofy it Looks Good and Thanks for the Pics

NO the gears are not interchangable

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
between the dana 50 and the dana 60, you can interchange the seals, bearings, hubs, rotors, calipers and locking hubs.

The axle stub shafts, axle joints, ring and pinion and spindles will not interchange.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online