F250 D60 Swap

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, so with the help of the local truck shop, I FINALLY tracked down a set of D60 rotors fir $36 a piece. The brake pads on the 60 are brand new....litterally, and if the calipers are gummed up, I will just use my D50 ones (which I might do anyways to save from bleeding my brakes).

All I need to do is buy and install two axle joints (Precision part # 374) and install the track bar bushings I already bought and then the process of tearing out the D50 crap can begin. For the time being, I am not putting in any front DS because when I removed the DS from the parts truck a BigRigTech's place I had to use a cut of wheel, and I ruined a couple of U joint caps that bolted to the yoke on the T case, on the double cardigan end of the shaft. I am going to install new joints and then install the DS later on.

I am going to try and take as many detailed pics as possible (even though this is a pretty straight forward thing) in case someone else who is a little less mechanically inclined wants to do the same thing.

I hope to start rippin' and tearin' not this weekend because I gotta work, but hopefully the weekend after if I can get all my eggs in a row.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
;Sweet
I'd like to see a write-up on this, I plan on doing this at some point as well.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a pretty straight forword swap. Id use the dana 50 calipers, you know there good and their identical to the d60 ones.

The hardest part is getting the spring bolts out, but with a torch that shouldnt be problem. I resorted to a grinder because I didnt have a torch.

I just left the springs bolt to the axle and rolled the entire thing under my truck and bolted it on.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hardest part is getting the spring bolts out, but with a torch that shouldnt be problem. I resorted to a grinder because I didnt have a torch.

Are you talking about the bolts that connect the spring to the axle or the springs to the frame?

I thought the spring setup was completely different on the two. The 50's got the transverse springs and the 60's got the standard springs.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking about the bolts that hold the springs to the frame.

The springs were different but bolt in the same locations. You just have to unbolt the f250 springs and bolt the 350 ones in.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to this swap too....I have his D60 taking up space in my garage...LOL....My dump box should be done this Sunday so with any luck the garage will be free to use in a week's time....You might as well come out some nights next week to install the rotors and u-joints before you swap it in.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D60 rotors?
You do know that The rotors, wheel hubs, lockouts and calipers are the same between the D50 and D60 right?
Only the 95-97 axles use different stuff than the older trucks, but it still interchanges between those two.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Yep, same part numbers, only the spindles are different. My D50 rotors are on their last legs as well.

I have to find out where BigRigtech bought his axle joints, because everywheres i go they want an animal sacrifice. Pretty damn expensive ($60 plus) but I know he called me one day and said a place across town had them fot $25 a piece.

Other than that, I am going to wait before putting in the rear lift blocks because I need to buy the longer rear U-bolts, and my box has to come off to do some welding to the crossmembers :rolleyes:.

Allin all, I should have a pretty solid truck once I get the 60 in, and the bed welded (just one crossmember from what I can see)

Might be a good time to throw in my new rear fuel tank!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
careful on the axle U-joints. I was a little rough on the inner oil seals and now I am looking at a major tear-down:eek:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
careful on the axle U-joints. I was a little rough on the inner oil seals and now I am looking at a major tear-down:eek:

That's one thing I am worried about! I did joints on my D44 in the F150 I had without an issue, but you could also support the axle as it goes into the seal because there is no axle tube in your way, you can guide the shaft in with your hand.

I am worried about the passenger side axle shaft tearing the inner axle seal as I reinstall it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, two brake rotors are in today, gotta pick them up tomorrow. I am also picking up two axle joints to replace the ones in the D60 now.

I already have my new track bar bushings, so the only thing I might have to buy is the bolts that hold the track bar bracket to the engine crossmember...no real cost there!

When I remove the bed...I can see a lot of changes happening! I have to weld up one bed crossmember. I got a perfect dually rearend and fender flares....it's a 4.10 though, but if needed I can do a R&P swap back to 3.55's to match the D60. I have to put the 4" blocks in to replace the 2" blocks over the rear axle, to make the lift from the F350 springs level again.

I got two plastic fuel tanks from a cab and chassis diesel, as well as extra springs ad overloads with the brackets from a dually I bought a year and a half ago for parts.

Other than that, all I want to do is put flat black dual stacks on her and leave her alone. It runs good, gets decent milage (I know it will go down a lit with the extra two tires) and it's solid.

But as my luck goes, I'll get it all done up, painted half decent and that damn E4OD will take a leave of absense.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey goofy, what do think of the 3.55 gears that you have in your truck? How do they do for hauling?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Considerint the N14 I drive, nothing will haul like that lol....but I can't complain with the 3.55's. Although I KNOW it would do better with 4.10's.

I dragged a 6X12 uhaul trailer loaded from top to bottom, front to back with tires.....THAT was a tad heavy and had me wishing for 4.10's.

Knight_3000

Reaction score
D60 rotors?
You do know that The rotors, wheel hubs, lockouts and calipers are the same between the D50 and D60 right?
Only the 95-97 axles use different stuff than the older trucks, but it still interchanges between those two.

EXCEPT when U have a Small hub D50 And a Large Hub D60 as is the Case with my D60 donor Axle and the D50 in my truck

Speaking of Which I need a 3.55 Gearset that fits the 4.10 carrier for my D60 Axle and that is the D60 FRONT axle

the truck has 3.55s and 38 inch tires And I was running 22 mpg B4 it Died

I also have the 10.5 Sterling Rear axle that I have Debated switching a 4.10 into But I like my 20+MPG fuel mileage

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
EXCEPT when U have a Small hub D50 And a Large Hub D60 as is the Case with my D60 donor Axle and the D50 in my truck

Speaking of Which I need a 3.55 Gearset that fits the 4.10 carrier for my D60 Axle and that is the D60 FRONT axle

the truck has 3.55s and 38 inch tires And I was running 22 mpg B4 it Died

I also have the 10.5 Sterling Rear axle that I have Debated switching a 4.10 into But I like my 20+MPG fuel mileage

What? No such thing as a small hub D50. You must of had a D44

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online