F250 D60 Swap

Knight_3000

Reaction score
What? No such thing as a small hub D50. You must of had a D44

Nope its A small hub D50 IFS front axle In my 88 f250 Diesel the Lockouts on it are only roughly 2.5 inches across vs about 3.35 on the D60

As far as I am aware the D44 was only used in the F150s and the GAS powered f250s and F350 as well as the Bronco and the Early Bronco after approx 1970

Plus Nothing for the D44 interchanges with the D60 Everything for my D50 will swap to my D60 Except for the Lockouts and the Hubs

I will see if I can get some better Pics with a tape measure, but if U blow up the Pic in my signature U might be able to tell it

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
D44 came in every F250 unless it was a supercab. So i would guess you had a D44 not a D50. Cuz my 86 F250 DIESEL has a D44 in the front. I am the 2nd owner

Knight_3000

Reaction score
D44 came in every F250 unless it was a supercab. So i would guess you had a D44 not a D50. Cuz my 86 F250 DIESEL has a D44 in the front. I am the 2nd owner

would the D44 still use the 4 piston Brake calipers???

My truck is the 8600lbs GVW truck it is also an 88 not an 86 Everything about it is 1 ton except for the Fact it has an IFS front end it will easily Carry a full ton of material in the Bed and never even start to Squat Plus as I stated in a Previous Post It has the 10.5 sterling Full float rear end in it

I am not the Original Owner of this truck(Obviously, too young) But I can tell you from working on it that if this truck is not 100% original I am a Monkeys Uncle :rotflmao

I have never ripped into the Diff on this axle but it does not appear to be a D44

Last edited:

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5" lockouts = 44HD. Calipers are the same as the 50/60 though.
I own examples of all three.
The Rotors are supposed to be the same between all three, but, I haven't had to do anything on my D44 besides pads and calipers, and I used the set I had in stock for my 460 truck, which were bought for a D50, but are the same as the D60 that's in it, and the 44HD under the nose of my 86.
The F250 44HD is a very different animal than the F150 44. Very easy way to tell other than the lockout, the spindles on the 44HD have 8 bolts retaining them to the knuckle, 5 on a 50/60.

Knight_3000

Reaction score
2.5" lockouts = 44HD. Calipers are the same as the 50/60 though.
I own examples of all three.
The Rotors are supposed to be the same between all three, but, I haven't had to do anything on my D44 besides pads and calipers, and I used the set I had in stock for my 460 truck, which were bought for a D50, but are the same as the D60 that's in it, and the 44HD under the nose of my 86.
The F250 44HD is a very different animal than the F150 44. Very easy way to tell other than the lockout, the spindles on the 44HD have 8 bolts retaining them to the knuckle, 5 on a 50/60.

I will have to Check but I think Mine may have only the 5 bolts cant remember it has been a while since I had it apart I have found alot of things with this Truck since I bought it that Did not make alot of Sense I am suspecting it was a Custom built Special order Cuz even the Engine was done with Red valve covers white Brackets and Blue air cleaner

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I will have to Check but I think Mine may have only the 5 bolts cant remember it has been a while since I had it apart I have found alot of things with this Truck since I bought it that Did not make alot of Sense I am suspecting it was a Custom built Special order Cuz even the Engine was done with Red valve covers white Brackets and Blue air cleaner

All the different colored engine tells me is someone was tinkering in there. EVERY IDI was gray. NO exeptions . But trust me. You had a D44 in the front. Not a D50

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I got my brake rotors and axle joint today. I was talking to Bigrigtech this morning while "working" downtown on the water line install lol.

I want to try and get down tomorrow and throw the rotors on, and replace the bad axle joint. I also have to replace the bad track bar bushings with the new poly ones I got.

The truck should handle like a brand new one when I am done with her!!!

Attachments

• sspx0016.jpg
    sspx0016.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 1
  • sspx0017.jpg
    sspx0017.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 2
  • sspx0018.jpg
    sspx0018.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 2

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok, just an update. I installed both rotors (remembering a thread that highlighting to make sure the wheel studs are driven back in their appropriate "splines") to ensure that they don't spin in the hub while tightening/loosening wheel nuts.

I also installed the passenger side axle joint (also making sure to not hit the inner seal)

Then came the job of beating out the old track bar bushings and replacing them with the new ones....That was fun. Had to use the fire wrench to get that done.

Other than that, the bearings, ball joints, pads and calipers are BRAND NEW. I will be using my D50 calipers to save from bleeding my brakes (which is pointless because I will need to bleed them when I do the dually swap in the rear anyways)

Pics to follow after I stuff my face!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Here are the pics I took while workon on the axle today.

Next weekend I will start the knuckle bustin' and bleedin' while I swap the 60 in! I am pretty excited, it's been like Christmas around here with all the parts boxes lately :rotflmao

The axle as it sat on the stands before I took anything apart....these things are HEAVY when you gotta lift them yourself by hand
You must be registered for see images attach

Spindle almost off.

Nice and shiny rotor!! :sly

Desperatly needed bushings!

New axle joint!

Knight_3000

Reaction score
Hey Goofyexponent If U do switch back to the 3.55 and U r using the 10.5 sterling full float I would like the 4.10 gearset I have a D60 I want to swap into My F250 But my truck is Equipped with 3.55s and the D60 axle I have has a 4.10 in it so Maybe we can Help each other out

Let me Know

Ps Im not 100% sure But I could have the 10.25 sterling full float But I think its the 10.5