F100 with a IDI

FordGuy100

Reaction score
OK I've been contempating doing this. I have access to a free F100 (year is unkown but probably mid 70's). My questions to you guys are 1) has any body ever done this before. And if somebody has. 2) How hard was it. 3) What was involved. 4) how much did it cost.

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be done, however when you were done you'd still have a light duty 1/2 ton pickup truck and you'd never be able to really "use" the motor.

If you want to invest the time and money, use a F250 to do the conversion. You will have stronger frame, brakes and axles.

vail54

Reaction score
Well I'm new tto this site and read and get some great ideas and answers THANKS to all. Now I will try to share my experience in this area. I installed a 91 idi in a 1954 f-100 and am still currently driving it. Lots of fun but not for the faint of heart. It takes a lot of fab work ie. motor mounts to the frame depending what type on trans. (mine is an e4od) I had to modify the floorboard to allow the bigger trans. not a lot but still a couple of inches. You have to adapt the fuel return to the tank the computer wiring for the trans was quite a chalenge etc. So with that said if you decide to do this try to get a "complete" donor vehicle and label everything when you disconnect it sorry this is so long and I hope it helps.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
vail54 said:
Well I'm new tto this site and read and get some great ideas and answers THANKS to all. Now I will try to share my experience in this area. I installed a 91 idi in a 1954 f-100 and am still currently driving it. Lots of fun but not for the faint of heart. It takes a lot of fab work ie. motor mounts to the frame depending what type on trans. (mine is an e4od) I had to modify the floorboard to allow the bigger trans. not a lot but still a couple of inches. You have to adapt the fuel return to the tank the computer wiring for the trans was quite a chalenge etc. So with that said if you decide to do this try to get a "complete" donor vehicle and label everything when you disconnect it sorry this is so long and I hope it helps.

Pics! Let us see your truck!

vail54

Reaction score
Man I hope this worked right please bear with me.

Attachments

• 54 f-100web.jpg
    54 f-100web.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 54 transplantweb.jpg
    54 transplantweb.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 56
  • P1010008web.jpg
    P1010008web.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 52

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
FordGuy100 said:
OK I've been contempating doing this. I have access to a free F100 (year is unkown but probably mid 70's). My questions to you guys are 1) has any body ever done this before. And if somebody has. 2) How hard was it. 3) What was involved. 4) how much did it cost.

Just ignore 'em all and do it ;Sweet

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Here is my conversion. Couldnt find the pics with the motor. Started with a 79 supercab 4x frame. Shortend I think 3 inches. 73 crew cab and 76 short bed. Dana 70 from a 82 in the rear and a 60 from a 79 up front. 7.3 n/a with 5 speed from a wrecked 90. Bolted the 79 205 case right to the ZF with a minor modification. Made my own 50 gal tank for under back, and recored the 79 radiator to a 4 core. Never got hot. Best mileage was 22mpg. Sold the truck for 13k and was the worst mistake I ever made.

Attachments

• 1979_f350_1-1.jpg
    1979_f350_1-1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 1979_f350_1-2.jpg
    1979_f350_1-2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 30

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Good god man, that is the coolest f100 I have ever seen, hats off to ya :thumbsup: . FordGuy, check the pics in my garage and there is some of the build up on the (other site) under my user name. Go for it, How many of those trucks have had a 460 put under the hood with no ill effects, the motors weigh about the same, If you need anything send me a PM and I'll help you out if I can.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
That IDI looks really good ford blue. That's the sharpest IDI I've ever seen!

I would suggest a heavier frame with the free body.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I went over there this weekend to work for them, and my Grandpa hinted that if I wanted it I could have it.

After looking under the hood I descovered it already had a diesel in it, it the form of a turbocharged Chrysler Nissian 3 cylinder diesel rated at 100hp @ 2500rpm.

So I could either rebuild that engine , or I could put a IDI in it. So, my question to you guys is if you had the truck and were considering these options, which one would you pick (and why).

tractorman86

Reaction score
:eek: wow 100hp with a turbo!!! :puke: gotta go with the idi, if i remember right those nissan diesels are really hard to find parts for and it needs a motor that ford has used anyhow! :D :D correct me if i am wrong but their has got to be a lot more potential with the idi, you would be working that little 3cyl so hard u also wouldnt have any longevity, power, or fuel milage

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures?

Alternately, was the "3" a typo and you meant to say "6"?

That almost sounds like the engine that my old Scout had...it was a Nissan engine, but Chrysler helped with the design. It was a 3.2l straight-6, and put out 101 hp and about 175 ft-lbs of torque. Couldn't get out of its own way, but it was reliable (or, it would have been had I not gotten the pyro to 1300 degrees post-turbo :shocked: )...