F 650 trans swap

Wildbill_81

Reaction score
Ok, I know this isn't a 450/550 but I want to build a long haul toy out of a 1999 International 4700LPX....hold on I'll get to the OBS piece in a second. The truck has a powerstroke backed by an allison 4 speed auto. My end goal is a 1993 IDI with banks sidewinder in place of the PS, but want to put a ZF-5 out of a F450 in it. I understand that the MD trucks have a front motor mount and a mid motor/trans/bellhousing mount. I can swap the front mount to the IDI and make a rear crossmember. Any issues with the two points of contact btween the motor/trans and the frame being that far apart? or should I fab some sort of mid-mount off the bellhousing/back of the block?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I think you are asking for trouble trying g to put a zf5 in a medium duty truck. The T19 4 speed is a medium duty transmission that was used in the IDI pickups and medium duty trucks before the zf5. Most of the IDI medium duty trucks are backed by a spicer 5 speed manual, and they are tough over built transmissions. If it were me, I would use the spicer 5 speed. What year is the truck, and what are you using it for? Any medium duty transmission is better for the application. The 5 speeds actually have better gear spacing, but it's non over drive if that matters.

Rock

Wildbill_81

Reaction score
I mis-typed the original post. It's a 1992 International 4700 LPX chassis that originally had a 444TE(powerstroke) and Allision auto. I want to swap my 1993 F350 crew cab body and bed onto the frame with a rebuilt 7.3 IDI motor. The truck will be used as family truckster as well as general pick-up truck/towing tasks. Since I want it as my daily driver, I want a more civilized trans vice feeling like I'm driving a school bus. I have the trans out of a F450 bucket truck so it have the driveline e-brake and the pedal/hydraulic clutch setup from my old '88 F350.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I mis-typed the original post. It's a 1992 International 4700 LPX chassis that originally had a 444TE(powerstroke) and Allision auto. I want to swap my 1993 F350 crew cab body and bed onto the frame with a rebuilt 7.3 IDI motor. The truck will be used as family truckster as well as general pick-up truck/towing tasks. Since I want it as my daily driver, I want a more civilized trans vice feeling like I'm driving a school bus. I have the trans out of a F450 bucket truck so it have the driveline e-brake and the pedal/hydraulic clutch setup from my old '88 F350.

Strange, I didnt think they had powerstroles in 92.

The transmission out of an F450 (92-97) should be a ZF5. They arent any tougher than any other ZF5 but if it was bolted up to a 7.3 then it should bolt right on.

Wildbill_81

Reaction score
Strange, I didnt think they had powerstroles in 92.

The transmission out of an F450 (92-97) should be a ZF5. They arent any tougher than any other ZF5 but if it was bolted up to a 7.3 then it should bolt right on.

You're right....I'm f'ing up fast and picking up speed. Just looked at the title, it's a 1995 (too many trucks to keep track of).

ISPKI

Reaction score
You're right....I'm f'ing up fast and picking up speed. Just looked at the title, it's a 1995 (too many trucks to keep track of).

It's all good, been a crazy year and change, I certainly won't judge ya for hittin the sauce a little early.

So a 95 would have an N47 ZF5, higher torque rating. I believe they did put 7.3s and ZF5s in some medium duty trucks so it should handle it and mount just fine. Not sure if there is any difference in gearing, I think that was only the 460 gasser.

Wildbill_81

Reaction score
My biggest concern is the mounting. I have the S-47 ZF-5 out of an F450 with the trans mounted parking brake. With the factory front engine mount and then fabricating a rear trans mount, there is a lot of unsupported distance between them. Unlike having the front motor mount and the SAE style bellhousing mounted to the frame. Any recommendations? My first thought is fabing a plate and mounts to connect the bellhousing to the frame.

ISPKI

Reaction score
My biggest concern is the mounting. I have the S-47 ZF-5 out of an F450 with the trans mounted parking brake. With the factory front engine mount and then fabricating a rear trans mount, there is a lot of unsupported distance between them. Unlike having the front motor mount and the SAE style bellhousing mounted to the frame. Any recommendations? My first thought is fabing a plate and mounts to connect the bellhousing to the frame.

Every ZF5 I have ever seen only has the rear transmission mount.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Actually, every manual transmission I have ever seen, pulled, and/or swapped has only ever had the rear mount. I was under the understanding that the bellhousing bolts were more than sufficient to hold the rest of it.