Extended Cab On Standard Frame?

hadley000

Reaction score
I looked through here and couldn't find any info on this. My cab needs work and it's probably best to change it. I want to keep all options open with cab sizes (other than crewcab). Before I buy any repair body panels I wanted to ask, will this work without major modifications? I suspect the only thing need to be moved is the rear cab mount cross member, is this true? I've been planning on a flatbed anyway because it's more practical for me, so the bed isn't an issue.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a teenager on here several years ago that did it with lots of pictures. I think he had to notch the back of the cab where the frame came up for the bed...........I'll try to remember his name and search.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've done the mod on a couple of commercial chassis where the standard cab with 86'd and a supercab was mounted. the rear floorpan must be modified for the frame "kickup" and I drilled into the crossmember for the mounting.
i'll have to dig up pics later.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd think that if you did a body lift, you wouldn't have to notch the cab. It should miss the frame kick up then. I have no idea how much of a lift though.

77 F-250

Reaction score
3" worked for me on a 77 and 78 F-250 frames. But I moved the rear body frame brackets. In the late 80's the rear supports were inside the frame. Sometimes you get lucky there is already a cross member the rear can line up with, worst case move the existing frame bracket.
I am building an 87 extra cab on a shortened 79 F-150 regular cab 8' bed frame. With a welder you can make anything work.
Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7