Single Cab to extended cab Swap

1983idi

Reaction score
Wanted to swap my single cab to an extended cab. Did some research and found that it sounded like the bed just had to be cut down. Well now looking at the frame it is obvious that they're not the same. It looks like i'll have a clearance issue of about 1-2" in the "extended" section. I was hoping someone had done this before and knows how much of a body lift I'll need to clear the frame. I want to keep the truck as low as possible so if I can shim the cab with hockey pucks I'd rather do that than a 2" body lift. Thanks for any help

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People used hockey pucks for body lifts before lift kits were sold. Use at least a grade 5 bolt with as much clear shank (no threads) as possible. You can get large thick fender washers and bolts at McMaster.com or other bolt suppliers.

1983idi

Reaction score
People used hockey pucks for body lifts before lift kits were sold. Use at least a grade 5 bolt with as much clear shank (no threads) as possible. You can get large thick fender washers and bolts at McMaster.com or other bolt suppliers.
Yeah I have used hockey pucks before when I was 16 and broke so I know it can be done. My bigger concern is just if a hockey puck will be enough to make the cab clear the frame or if I'm going to have to use a body lift. I know 2" work with the IDI but some guys have issues with the 3" lift and the head hitting the firewall

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to worry more about cutting out fan shroud to clear fan at bottom. Don't know about head hitting firewall. Steering shaft may need extension or replacement with longer one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726