Expert Forensics needed - rebuild 7.3 idi "ticking" direction needed

ferrellmedia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1993 F350 DRW crew cab
original engine was a 7.3 idi n/a
rebuild is a 7.3 idi n/a

First, I know this is long winded and detailed, but I think I need to be for you guys to be of asistance.

OK, I bought this rebuild without fully knowing all that was done to it, the shop was closing down, owner had passed and bought the rebuild from his family who was liquidating the shop. So not really sure what I got for my 1500.00.

I used my new/rebuilt standadyne pump from my original engine which was purchased and installed at the local ford dealer and used my standyne "E" code injectors from my original truck with 147k.

My orig engine cavitated back pass cylinder and caused it to bend a rod.

Prior to dropping this unknown rebuild it the truck, I flushed the block, which I found to have serious laquer / shelac built up behind the water pump.

Pulled the entire front of engine off, new water pump (from the stealership), dipped the intake, cleaned up perfectly, new injector copper seals, double checked tourque on all the rocker arms and entire bottom end, new valve cover gaskets and generally have it looking like a brand new international str8 from the factory.

It's been running REALLY strong, getting around 17mpg around town and been used as my daily driver.

Then, I sold my sandrail to a guy about an hour south of me and I delivered it to him. This was the first time in a while I had the truck on the interstate with any load.

I had the truck running around 2300 - 3000 RPMS steady for that hour, oil pressure always perfect, idiot temp gauge always at the "O" in normal, temp gauge never moves once warmed up, truck was two quarts low of oil on this trip and I didn't know.

Drove it hard with the sand rail in tow, (an extremely light load), pulling the sandrail the 1 hour south, truck ran great, no issues.

Then, when I get off the interstate and come to the red light I hear the new friggin "tick, tick, tick, tick" a completely new tick.....it's a tick on the boarder line of sounding like a knock...

The sound disapears for a minute under the initial loading of the engine, then comes back and is loudest at idle. Absolutely no miss, and no smoke either blue or black.

I devliered the sandrail then rolled over to kmart to check oil and added the two quarts it was low hoping this was it, and Still ticking.....

I then ran a quart of ATF thru the back tank in hopes that it was an injector knock, no luck. I've driven it approx another 200 miles since the day I delivered this rail and it's not gotten any worse, but it's not getting any better.

I initially thought this had to be a bad lifter or broken rocker arm or loose rocker arm, something in the valve train.

Then today I pulled the valve covers.

I double checked and none of the rocker arms seems to be loose, and then I used a stethescope on each rocker with the engine running and the sound on each rocker arm is EXACTLY the same, so that tells me it's not a lifter issue, correct?

It sounds like it's originating from the bottom end, like a wrist pin or rod???

I then pulled the dust cover thinking this could possibly be the flexplate and or the torque converter bolts, I validated the converter bolts, tightened all four then visually inspected the flexplate and nothing of notice....

HOWEVER, using the stethescope, the sound seems to be the loudest when placed on the housing of the transmission????? I just dont understand this unless it's either in the trans or this is the rod/main ticking and I can here it thru the trans housing because the trans is bolted to the block and crank???

The tick, tick tick, seems to be coming either from the bottom end and or the front of the engine, and I cannot say for certian if it's from the crankcase area or not, very difficult to determine location. The reason I say the front of the engine is when I use the stethescope on the front gear housing I can hear the tick slightly louder...

I took the truck to a local bus maint shack yesterday and the guy says it sounds normal, however, this is a BRAND NEW tick, tick, tick that never showed itself ....and not normal, this guy is not very good.

This rebuild has been running for 3 months now every day and has 2k miles since it was dropped in, if this was a normal "tick, tick, tick.." it would have always been present and this is brand new.

I will drain the oil tomorrow in an attempt to see if there are shavings of note, but other than what i've listed here, are there other forensics I can do? suggestions? someone knows exactly what this is based on this description?

:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I wouldn't think you would want to rule out an injector issue based on running ATF in the tank.

I know there is a shop by me that will test them for free.:sly

ferrellmedia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't belive I fogot something, but the first thing I did today was to crack open each injector, caused the engine to stumble a bit to see if the noise went away and each injector had the exact same impact and did nothing to the noise...

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I know you checked for an exhaust leak, but I have a ticking in my 87 6.9 also. Turns out, that it is coming from a cracked exhaust manifold.

Might be worth looking into..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm going with an injector or an exhaust leak somewhere. Start the motor cold and feel around all the exhaust manifolds and manifold joints. The exhaust ports to the manifolds wont be burning hot unless you run the life out of the motor and then touch them but... Lightly touch them so you know how hot they are before grabbing one. A wet hand will find a leak easier too. How old are the injectors... Maybe its time for a new set of typ4 BB codes.... They are the better injectors.. Lots better than E or G injectors....:sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I don't think I would have re-used injectors with 147K on them. Did you try killing each cylinder one at a time to see if the tick goes away?

ferrellmedia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, shouldn't have re-used the injectors, but ran out of money on the project and since they worked.....

Yes, broke open each injector and the noise didnt' go away.

Just went back out this morning and went back thru the analytics already done and have now ruled out the valve train as the root of the noise.

I'm 90% certain it's coming from the bottom end of the engine, but not yet sure if it's the tranny....just not sure.

The stethescope placed on the trans housing is where the noise is most prominet.

If the source of this sound was a wrist pin, or rod, etc... wouldn't I see other symtoms?

if so what would these be?

I'm thinking the worse here...ready to give up and sell the damn thing...

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Take the oil filter off, cut it open - sqeeze the oil out of it in a bench vice and look for debris in the filter media....That should rule out something serious unless you find metal.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you cant find an exhaust leak, My guess would go to a noisy lifter. I know these are hydraulic but I also have a tick sound and thats what I am beginning to think it is. Does the noise differ as the engine temp changes???

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Absolutely no intent to minimize your situation intended here, but- how can you even tell it's a tick? My engine makes so much noise I would be hard pressed to identify one tick from another... Is that a knock or just a normal rattley old diesel sound.. Only 2000 miles since rebuild and this sound is after one of the first few times it's been run fairly hard- up around 2500-3000 for a somewhat extended period of time... Like Big Rig Tech said, check filter for chunks.. Definitely sounds like bottom, not top? Super paranoid? Drop the pan and have a look, justify the oil as a break-in oil change. But as I typed that in, it occured to me that at 2000 miles that engine is just beginning to start to get broke in a little... Maybe things are just starting to loosen up a tiny bit and that "tick" will eventually be lost in the overall cacaphony of ticks, tinks, clacks, knocks, whacks, growls, whirrs etc. that seem to be completely normal when these engines are running fine. I've often worried about mine just because it is so noisy, but Deep Roots (Drew) assures me that it sounds fine and is just the noise they make.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
From your description, it sounds like the flex plate may be cracked. That would explain the sound going away under initial acceleration, then returning. You may be able to check by removing the torque converter bolts off and slide it back a fraction of an inch to look. Is the transmission bolted to the engine securely?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7