exhaust ?????

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Ok I am thinking of changing my exhaust and wondering if you really need to upgrade the downpipe if all your planning is a chip or tuner. I can see why we need to on the IDI and the OBS psd's but the down pipe on my 03 looks like its already the same size as what I upgraded to on my 96 :dunno

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I put a 4" turbo back MBRP system on my dad's '99. I haven't got any hard numbers, because I haven't got the gauges put in yet, but it can't hurt the egts, and it sounds good!

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i also have the MBRP 4" turbo-back stainless kit on mine. i don't have gauges but i did not notice much difference in performance or fuel economy. the sound is OK but it does drone a bit under load.

i think if you are going to chip it you may as well do it right and get the turbo-back kit. that's why i did it, just havent got disposable cash for a chip. truck runs OK stock for me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
for the $$$ go turbo back.
or for a poor mans system , go from the downpipe with a 3-4 adaptor, then a 4" piece and walker tailpipe .

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, do the down pipe for sure. It is useless to do the rest of the exhaust on the OBS if you are not going to do the down pipe. That is where 90% of the exhaust restriction resides.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Yes, do the down pipe for sure. It is useless to do the rest of the exhaust on the OBS if you are not going to do the down pipe. That is where 90% of the exhaust restriction resides.

he's talking about an SD

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's talking about an SD
Youre right, I re-read his post and he mixed the IDI, OBS and SD stuff altogether and I missed it.....

Still, my statement stands........... changed the DP.....

aggitator

Reaction score
If going to do it do it right=turbo back. If price is a problem check out the diesel exhaust system by Summit Racing,You can get a complete turbo back for less than most cat backs.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
stay away from the low priced summint and jegs systems, ya get what ya pay for.
if your planning on keeping the truck stainless is the way to go. Ive been seeing too many aluminized systems rusting apart at the seems,. I wont even sell or install aluminized anymore.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Boy if I didn't know better I would say you guys were getting kick backs not one has any proof yet swears by it LOL But anyhow does the 4" down pipe fit ok or does the firewall need to be massaged like all the others?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
4" down pipe fits with no mods, just have to twist it right to get it in. and make shure it is not hitting the firewall.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Ok thanks Nick the problem I'm having is finding a turbo back stack kit. Hey Rob did you put the muffler in with your kit ?.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes i put in the muffler that came with the kit. Nick got the kit for me and i helped him install it. IIRC it's a universal kit made long enough for CC longbeds and we cut the tailpipe to lenght to fit my SC LB which would be the same wheelbase as your CC SB.

we did not have to massage any sheetmetal but the DP is a tight fit.

i should say i did notice slightly quicker spool up from my turbo with the new exhaust. this may be from the bigger DP or the removal of the cat. or both.

when i did my exhaust i was trying to improve fuel mileage. but i wanted to do it turbo back if i was gonna do it at all, in case i hopped the engine up some day. haven't caught that bug yet.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Grand rock makes the stack kits
but also from experiance, buy the down pipe from mbrp, then make your own stacks, the kits put the stacks at the bed rail which is to far out.
I put a kit in a 03, and did more modifying to the kit than what I did fabbing a kit from scratch.
as far as HP gain from a 4" vrs a stock down pipe on the dyno you will see none. hell a bunch of us are putting close to 350hp down in obs's with 3" dps
as far as driveability there is the difference, the 4" allows to spool faster, also keeps egts down .
as for the muffler , I recomend especially on the longer wheel bases or the drone is incredable.

My 03 is stock as far as power and I put a 4" dp and duals on it.
now its ready for any other mods.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online