exhaust true dual

downunder0323

Reaction score
ii am getting true duals put on my 6.9L form stock how much louder is it going to be and how much better gas milage will i get off it.

this is costing like 390 all up is that pretty good.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It all depends on how big of exhaust pipe your using. How big are you going, and what kind of mufflers are you using? I am assuming that you are running without a turbo, so you will definatly need mufflers. With small exhaust pipe these motors cackle at higher rpms.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Moosestang is so equipped. I put cherry bomb's in the side pipes. The sound is awsome, and very pleasant. I tried it without mufflers, and that was insane.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Add a few dollars to the cost of the exhaust system for good hearing protection, unless you use big truck type mufflers it will be very loud -- been there -- done that.

It is doutful you will see any change in your fuel mileage unless you like noise, then it will be worse (-:

Jim

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just be prepared, it will be loud. If your in to that, then I would say go ahead, but if your not than I would advise you not to.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I did 3" duals before I did the turbo and started with 50 series Flowmasters. That was absolutely earth shaking terrible loud!! I ended up going to NAPA and they have a series of round 3" in and out mufflers that come in three overall lengths and are fairly large diameter. I bought the longest ones, I think they are 36" overall with a body length of about 30". I put those behind the Flowmasters and between the two on each side the sound was quiet but not silent. If I was you ,unless you like a lot of noise and you drive where your noise will not effect others around you I would go to NAPA and get a set of their round mufflers like the ones I have. I took the Flowmasters off when I installed the turbo and now have the dual 3" Y'ed behind the downpipe and run throuth just the two NAPA mufflers.

Jim

tractorman86

Reaction score
i've been thinking about just stacking another factory pipe ontop or bottom of what i already have (with a cherrybomb spliced in like my present exhaust). running left bank out the right side and the right bank out the left side,with an H-pipe, to keep everything even and equil. you guys think i would make much of a difference?:confused: :dunno

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
What "difference" are you talking about? Difference in noise , difference in fuel mileage, or difference in power? Noise-more Mileage - no change Power-no measureable change.

Jim

DieselRecon

Reaction score
Exhaust systems in general offer little MPG gain or usable hp. Gains in Hp only occur at WOT all she'll do. That is the only time the stock system restricts the exhaust. At cruising speed your only applying light throttle and the engine is not making enough power or exhaust to create a restriction that would hinder fuel mileage.
Ran a new Duramax with chip on chassis Dyno with an exhaust cutout and stock exhaust. 14 hp gain and the cutout was on the down pipe. Now that's straight exhaust.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get more horsepower with a nice sound.
These MagnaFlow performance mufflers are designed to give you more power and provide excellent sound. They feature a large-diameter, perforated stainless steel core and a straight-through design for unrestricted flow. They also have a stainless steel mesh for sound control, and all-welded, lap-jointed contacts to avoid distortion or cracking at the seams.
\

Stainless steel mesh?. Sounds to me like that could blow out after some time.

So do you want loud or a nice sweet mellow sound that people will actually give good compliments on.

THE GIBSON ADVANTAGE: Gibson Superflow Mufflers are baffled, chambered, louvered. Competing mufflers utilize a cheaper packing or screened design that will blow-out and grow louder over time.

Ah yes thats why I went with Gibson. The same tone from day one and not louder than when first installed. Can't really hear it in the cab. Can have a normal conversation with a passenger and sounds sweeter than hell at the tailpipe.;Sweet

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I worked in an exhaust shop for 5 years. I still do all the exhaust at my current shop. I have had 4 idi to date. As far as nonturboed improvements the best i have seen is to cut the y pipe to make it a true y. The factory y pipe looks more like a t. I cut so I can weld 3 in on at an angle that faces down then bend up over the crossmember. Put a 3 in glasspack on it. Then if you want duals you can y it from there. true duals take out any header effect. As far as magnaflow they will last a long time. They are an excellent muffler, but queit. I have added a k and n air filter and turned the pump up a little

PnrFab

Reaction score
can you go to big on these trucks with exhaust? im going to go either 3" or 4" with a straight through muffler but will i lose torque with going to big of exhaust?

-josh

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think 4" would hurt it, but you would have to come up with a prebent system. Not many exhaust shops can bend anything larger than 3".

FordGuy100

Reaction score
can you go to big on these trucks with exhaust? im going to go either 3" or 4" with a straight through muffler but will i lose torque with going to big of exhaust?

-josh

I doubt it, I've never heard of a diesel losing torque because somebody put on a bigger exhaust. But you never know...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online