Exhaust Question?

F-SUPER DUTY

Reaction score
New to forums.Anyone ever use stainless band style clamp on exhaust butt joint.Supplier sold me one to connect 4" pipe.Doesnt look like it would seal very good.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Hey welcome to the site, my inlaws live in york work at Harley... band clamps work, you can't really seem em but like these I got off a bus!

Attachments

• misc 106.jpg
    misc 106.jpg
    868.8 KB · Views: 20

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that is what I have on mine. I like them much better than the standard u-bolt because you can get the exhaust system back a part.

There are several types, this is the cheaper type that I have on the muffler inlet and outlet and this is the better type that I used on the down pipe. If your using the first type, don't be afraid of getting it tight.

rubberfish

Reaction score
I've got the one like what's pictured on the Jeg's site.
Been on for three years now. Don't know if it'll come
off either. Haven't had a reason too yet. No leaks. :)

Welcome to the site. :)

F-SUPER DUTY

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.You guys seem a lot nicer than (ford truck enthusiast) forums.Do they also work on somewhat rusty pipe?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope he didnt see that thread from a couple days ago, with everyone all pissed off.

So how do the clamps work, do u clamp it instead of welding it, or does it go on top of the weld?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you're talking the wide stainless band clamps like the big trucks use, that's what I put my system together with. You can't beat those things . they seal tight and you get support at the joint. If the pipe is rusty, slather the joint down with some exhaust assembly paste and you'll get a good seal.
Other nice benefit of those type clamps is you can take the joint apart if you need to work on something, and put it back together without having to split or cut anything.

F-SUPER DUTY

Reaction score
They didnt **** me off.They just wont reply.20 views no response.There to worried about how miles you can get on a 5.4 engine.WHO CARES!Thats the worst engine ford ever put in a superduty.I know cause i have one.(Should have bought a diesel.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
You'll want to clean up those pipes. Band clamps are usually reserved for new installs. I've used them on used pipes, by cleaning the pipes up with a wire wheel/drill.
If it leaks. Remove it, an use some high temp copper RTV to help seal it.