exhaust housing

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
anybody here changed it out? just curious as to what you thought of it and what it did to your boost pressures... been kicking around the idea of a .84 on my truck... what size is stock (1.24???)

if you upgrade the exhaust housing does it play well with a ATS compressor housing and a aftermarket wheel?

thanks

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the GTS .84 housing.
I like it, with 4.10 gears and a 5 speed, spool up is much quicker, and it sounds most excellent.

I'm not worried about loosing flow on the top end, cause I won't see the top end much, this is a work / tow / haul truck, not a puller at the fair or a high rpm screamer.

From what Geoff at TDS told me, if you ever think you'll put in BIG injectors, don't go with the .84, stay stock.... your bigger injectors work great with the stock housing.

I ended up putting in Beans tranny savers, and with the .84 housing I'm pretty much maxed out, but that's fine, I'm happy with the truck as is....
(of course a gear splitter would be nice!)

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
milner,

Welcome to the site, glad to have you.

Few questions for you.

What kind of boost numbers are you seeing with the .84 housing? And what do you think of Beans tranny savers? Have you dyno'd with them yet?

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are going to get all over me for this.
I've got too many things going on and have not had a chance to put on the 3" down pipe, boost or pyro gauges.

I'm running blind, and driving conservatively, still on stock programing too :puke:

I LOVE MY BEANS INJECTORS!
the difference in the truck was remarkable, hopefully someday soon I'll get toward the bottom of the todo list, and find some time to put in the rest of my mods, and then find the money to order up a chip from BEAN. :hail

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KABOOM!!!!!

I dont have guages yet either, but I took the plugs out. this month Im gettin em tho!

MADVAN

Levittown N.Y.
Reaction score
In 97 stock was a 1.15ar non waste gate.
I run 1.00ar. Has quicker spool with chip. Boost starts to build off idle.
I would like to try the .84ar but i think it would start to build to much exhaust pressure at high rpm.

BILL

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
milner351 said:
I'm running the GTS .84 housing.
I like it

Lol did gts make that, or is it someone elses hes selling? You just made it sound like it was the GTS Aurora Turbo!!!!! :)

So can anyone chime in on the performance curve on the houseing at higher rpms? obviously a dyno sheet comparison is going to be the only hard compairison, but SeatOfPants Dyno and guage readings would work.

MADVAN

Levittown N.Y.
Reaction score
The one i have is from Garrett 1.00AR. Banks has them but wants way to much for them!!!. I did a search on the net for turbo repair kits ect. I paid 150.00 for it while banks wanted 400.00 for the same house. I have seen them on e-bay. As far as the .84ar they seem to work well in the wastegated version. Turbo dumps the excess pressure at the higher rpm. The non waste house will develop more x pressure between the x valve & turbo at high rpm. Guess it has to do with how you use your PS. Bottom & mid range power= .84. So i'am in the middle with the 1.00 ;Sweet

Last edited:

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys
I don't have any hard "data" on just what this thing did, and in the flurry to get the truck ready for a trip, I changed several things all at once. I can tell you this, with a straight pipe, it sounds WICKED. The turbo whistle combined with the intake noise through my baldwin PA2818 filter, and the exhaust note make "rowing through the gears" in this truck a sensory experience.

I also removed my mechanical clutch fan and added an electric, which makes hearing the engine easier, and also helped me get 19.1mpg on a run to Chicago from Detroit running 65mph on the highway (4.10 gears, 235-85 tires).

It's all about how you use your truck... absolutely, mine is a 5 spd 4.10 that I use to haul stuff, and tow stuff, I don't drive it unless I need it.... hoping to keep it for many years, after driving from Detroit to Georgia to get it, I don't want to watch it rust, so this winter I really hope to only use it when I need it, then WASH IT IMMEDIATELY! ;Sweet

One of these days when I chip away at all my to do list items, I'll find the time to add the pyrometer and boost gauge, and hopefully find the money to call up Bean and have him send me a chip for this thing! :hail

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
milner351 said:
I also removed my mechanical clutch fan and added an electric, which makes hearing the engine easier, and also helped me get 19.1mpg on a run to Chicago from Detroit running 65mph on the highway (4.10 gears, 235-85 tires).

Details? Pics of installation? Toss us a bone please............ ;Sweet

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, what fan did you use? didja mount it on the back of the rad? Im diein here! 2mpg buys a fan real fast these days!

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys...

I'll have to do my best with a write up here.

Let me start by saying I did it the quick and dirty way... and ended up buying a new radiator in the process! :puke: :puke:

Ok, ya'll know how to remove the fan clutch most likely, if you don't have a 1'7/8" wrench, or can't rent one, or make one from plate stock (has to be thin), then, take a long punch and a couple taps with a hammer, she'll brake loose and spin free by hand.

CAREFULLY remove the fan, clutch as a unit (about 20lb... be ready to catch it and keep in mind the rad is ALUMINUM = FRAGILE)...
I removed the fan shroud top mounting bolts (10mm head as I recall)
and pulled fan/clutch out after moving the top of the shroud toward the engine.

Then, again, in quick and dirty fashion, I took a couple pieces of flat stock from the home depot steel rack, cut them to length and ran them from the top shroud mounts to the lower shroud mount points, I wrapped the lower ends into "flat hooks" which are captured in the lower shroud mounts, then, the uppers, just a hole for the stock shroud bolts.

To those two supports, I bolted an electric fan I'd used on a fox body mustang project, it's actually out of a Honda.... Then I wired it directly to a 30amp maxi fuse in the under hood box (on with ign) again, quick and dirty... I have a thermostatic control set up on order from an ebay seller for $18.

I've also heard the real hot set up is a pair of fans from a '95 windstar Ford minivan, they are about the perfect size for our rad, and you run one to come on with the AC, the other on a thermo switch.
That's the set up I'd put in if I didn't have this one laying around.

I can tell you this, if you pull heavy loads in heavy stop and go traffic in hot weather, you'll probably push the limit of air flow with electrics.... if you don't, have at it! Many guys have been running around a while now with no fan at all!

I'll try my best to put some pictures together sooon... sorry, I'm VERY late at putting together a website... I really need to kick it in gear and get that done. :confused: