Exhaust brake on an idi

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The PSD valve springs must work great.

On my Power Squirting Diesel I just flip a switch locking the TC and let the compression do the braking going down hill.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
just a little thought i came up with on my way home this morning. What if you had an inline switch to hit the fuel cutoff. Or would this not do anything?

Last edited:

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no reason that with upgraded valve springs it won't work, it's the same story on a first gen Cummins, and while an IDI does have pretty good engine braking stock, so does my PSD and CTD, but, I wired up the EBPV on the stroker to a switch, it's not as effective as a real brake, but it sure makes a difference.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i wish i could do that on mine. my 2000 7.3 6 speed truck doesnt have a EBPV on it. and the engine braking sucks. truck also weights 15000 lbs. lol

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it the EBPV has been gutted/removed? For the little performance gain it's something I'd never do, but, I deal with stupid cold that most people who do the delete do not.
I remember -38 in my old stroker(00 6 speed F250)... Even 1800 rpm idle with the ebpv closed the truck wouldn't hold temperature, I had a multi hour wait at the bus picking up a friend, so, I was either going to freeze my butt off or go for a drive every 20 minutes or so.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I have one from US Gear and it's plumbed in but I haven't run the electrical yet. It slows down fine with the trailer so I may pull it off and sell it. :dunno

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I take it the EBPV has been gutted/removed? For the little performance gain it's something I'd never do, but, I deal with stupid cold that most people who do the delete do not.
I remember -38 in my old stroker(00 6 speed F250)... Even 1800 rpm idle with the ebpv closed the truck wouldn't hold temperature, I had a multi hour wait at the bus picking up a friend, so, I was either going to freeze my butt off or go for a drive every 20 minutes or so.

it is an f550. the turbo was replaced at 130000 miles. the turbo came from IH, doesnt even have the housing. straight off turbo into exhaust.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I love the Jake sound, especially going down some of the big hills on campus in 1st or 2nd.

ahh yes. the frat row parking lot is my favorite. the hill is steep enough to keep the rpms in the "cackle zone" all the way from the busstop to sig-ep

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
You guys went to an actual college, my campus was on an airport and the FAA got really PO'd when I let off at governed RPM in first right in front of their office. They gave me more crap than the cops in that town.