Exhaust brake on an idi

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
has anyone run one before? I have access to a nice 3" brake for $50. and wanted some opinions. the guy said he ran one on his 93 f250 turbo and it was fine but what do you guys think

Attachments

• engine brake.jpg
    engine brake.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 122

Uncle Mater

Reaction score
That's a good question. I herd some bad things about them and the if I remember right something to do with the exhaust valves. Hopefully someone with more info fill you in detail about them.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the usefulness of the exh brake is limited to your exhaust valve springs.
ideally you will need stronger springs to utilize it. rumour has it the 7.3 PSD valve springs are a "drop-in" replacement. but verify the rumour!!!!!!!!!!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
the usefulness of the exh brake is limited to your exhaust valve springs.
ideally you will need stronger springs to utilize it. rumour has it the 7.3 PSD valve springs are a "drop-in" replacement. but verify the rumour!!!!!!!!!!

Exhaustttssssssssssssssspriiii Oh Hell Calvin Are you tryin' to make me forget I'm married :backoff Where do you come up with these pictures :hail:rotflmao

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
has anyone run one before? I have access to a nice 3" brake for $50. and wanted some opinions. the guy said he ran one on his 93 f250 turbo and it was fine but what do you guys think

If you have a manual tranny, there is no need for one if you drive with your head out of your tail pipe. These engines have very good compression braking and proper gear selection when starting off a hill will keep you out of trouble.

If you have a slushbox i could see wanting one, but only if it's one that has a bypass that allows pressure to escape past the slide or has an adjustable stop so you can allow pressure by, because you don't want the thing completely blocking off and floating the exhaust valves. My friend has one and tows in some short but very steep hills and it works nicely for him. If I'm not mistaken we did just put new valve springs in that thing when we did the heads on it a while back.

I wouldn't mind having one just for lazyness sake ( it would basically make it where I wouldn't have to touch my brakes at all with proper gear selection as opposed to rarely having to touch them), but you can't ride that kind of exhaust brake like a Jake , as in coming off a hill hard then hitting the thing and expect it to pull you down, because it simply isn't going to happen, all it will do is make a loud hissing noise and you will maintain the same speed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just for the record, my '92 has exceptional compression braking. turbo, intercooled, 3in straight pipe....pick the right gear at the top of the hill and coast all the way down;Sweet It does do the "jake" sound to the point it really annoys people and the local noise pollution sensors go ******* when I intentionally run up the RPM's and then let it "jake" down. But my GVW is too small to get a ticket;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet they are mainly to police the 80k GVW big-boys.:eek:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Like said, the exhaust valve springs are what will cause problems. The back pressure might cause them to float. If you can use PSD springs you should be better off.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U.S. Gear used to sell one. Of course, that doesn't make it right. It just means others have done it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I find with my 6.9, ZF and 4.10 gears the engine brakes the truck well....I also have a 460 gasser trans which has deep gears 1-2-3.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
with a stock exhaust minus the muffler, i shake the corn off the stalk if i hit 3000 rpm and let er go

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
ah ok guys looks like its a bit un necessary, agreed the engine braking is good but thought it could be improved on