Every glow plug dead?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Historically the 6.9 plug controller called a relay was never a very good way to control the plugs. The failed at a high rate leaving the plugs on till they burned out. the upgrade is the solid state controller using the ZD9 plugs with the billet connectors. they are a better way of using the glow plugs. Mel offers a replacement 6.9 relay and has proven its a better item than the oem parts.
To upgrade or convert to the as it is known here. The 7.3 solid state system you will need the harness from the solid state controller to each plug and the controller. Might want to see if you can get the mounting bracket is there is one. Its a bolt in screw in swap easily done under the shade tree.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh I see, thanks.

I dug up some better info and a wiring diagram, I'll get this done. Hopefully tonight I'll have it wrapped up.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a donor and can get the parts for $20 just don't know if there is any point really. I read that it's an upgrade but haven't uncovered why it's an upgrade.

Take pictures of the donor truck layout, just copy it to your truck.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought about that.... After I pulled it, the yard was closing so I was moving fast.

This harness and glow plug controller are in the best shape though. Somebody else before me at the yard clipped most the wires going from the controller to the relay and there's a deep cut on the 12v+. Chances are lined up at least replacing the power wire. One of the bullet connectors got like no insulation is pretty corroded so I don't know if I even run it. Only reason I'm even thinking about it is because I have a long drive I need to get done this weekend.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This isn't good. 3 and 4 are the worst. After reading about the way bypassing works on the 6.9l I no longer suspect I did this with my cycling, I had reconnected the purple wire days before.

So I'm planning to run the motor as is for a while, until I have the time the to stud the heads.

You must be registered for see images

I stuck with the 6.9l set up for the time being. Fired right up with the new plugs.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Motorcraft Beru plugs are the ONLY way to go. Be it ZD1A or ZD9 plugs. They are so much better than all the others combined.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read the stories and now I know first hand. The Autolites are ****, half of were bulging, two split and one broke off. Two or three needed to be slowly worked out with vice grips.

I lost my torque wrench so I just went easy, I'll buy a new one and back them out and retorque before my trip on Sunday.... Or borrow one from work. I used a high temp thread lubricant, we use that stuff in our extrusion process but I didn't use the really good stuff. That's the food grade stuff in the picture, it has no copper. It will work for now.

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knock Knock... Who's there? Broken glow plug tip in your cylinder....

Idling in the driveway I didn't notice it, driving around the block it was very obvious. Think I snapped off the dangler when I pulled them.

Any chance I'll only have to replace the piston? Head resurface at best new head at worst?

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol I thought about, I was on way to the dump. The damage is done right? Lol

I don't want it to get worse though.

I read about a vacuum method but it's too late for that, it's impacted. I assumed it had happend before I pulled it. Stupid is expensive...

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounded great before. Now it sounds like a loud tick/knock coming from that bank, similar to a rod knock, a little slappy too. It's no. 3 that broke off.

I'll pull the head tomorrow, crossing my fingers it's something I can deal with. Maybe if the damage is contained inside the fire ring I can sand it down and be okay.

What's the most common damage in this situation?

NW_Iron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading about what a massive job this is. I've gathered up most the parts and tools I need to get this done. But now I'm having second thoughts about how to go about it.

Pull the engine or not? Is what it boils down to. If I pull the engine I think the dis-assembly will go faster and will have a better chance of getting re-assembled properly. If I go that far, then I'll probably opt to stud the motor, but then I'm going to be broke.

Thoughts? Experiences?

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
If you can swing it, do it right, do it once.

Id pull it if you have the capabilities, and the time to do it.