Ever seen a 6.9 with cavitation problems?

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin says that he prefers to sleeve all of the idis that he builds as a precaution, even the 6.9s. I respect that he has to build them to a level that he is comfortable putting his name on. I also am very cautious about things that I build in my line of work. But I am curious if anyone anyone has ever seen cavitation problems in a 6.9?

Last edited:

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a 7.3 or 6.9 with cavitation. Not that I think it's an overblown fear, but i kinda think it's an overblown fear.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not saying that it's impossible to have cavitation problems in a 6.9, but I've seen the never talked about on here (that I've seen) problem of cracking in the lifter valley twice and that's two more times than I've seen 6.9 cavitation.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen it a couple of times over the years and not just in 6.9/7.3 engines. It sucks to pull a head and see a bunch of pits/holes in a cylinder wall because you just know this is going to cost a bunch more to fix.

jbm6900

Reaction score
Cavitation is real. the correct coolant mix w/ additive is the prevention of. A quality machinist/builder will sleeve these engines as part of a good long lasting build. Consider in how long do you want to keep this vehicle. For a keeper, i'd sleeve it. Run Amsoil synthetic oil w/ 1qt Lucas, Monitor coolant sca's, & add a engine bypass oil filter. You'll be happy for many many miles.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have seen it in one 7.3, and one 6.9. This is actually looking at the cylinder walls, not misdiagnosed head gasket or oil cooler.

the 6.9 (86) had several bad cylinders, hydrolocked and chucked a rod......but engine was turboed since new, and all the injector tips were worn off, to the point none would hold fuel, it must have seen some serious abuse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.