Ever heard of MotorKote?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear ever heard of MotorKote oil additive? They make some impressive claims about their products, and I was introduced to it from a guy I know that has 8 milk trucks. He claims a 1/2 mpg increase, 25degree drop on long hills. He said he also added it to the trans and the rears, poducing a 20d drop in trans and 15d drop in each rear. Drawback???? $100 a gallon. Anyone else seen this stuff??

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Never heard of it but sounds impressive hope it's true, now for $100 a gallon it better make Me lounge too.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm always leary of snake oil additives. However, I'll readily conceed that many of them probably work. I'm a firm believer in well filtered, frequently changed oils. I think if you do that, fancy additives are not needed. I remember back when Arco came out with that black graphite oil. Everbody thought it was a neat idea. I worked at an Exxon at the time, and we had a guy come in who was running it on his Corvette. He went a good bit over his oil change interval, and when the mechanic removed the drain plug NOTHING CAME OUT!!! He had to take a screw driver and stick it in the hole, and then it all started to glop out. Too scary for me!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
heard of it the sponsor a lot of tractor pulls around here I wouldn't call it snake oil I would say its along the same lines as cenpeco and lucas

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm always leary of snake oil additives. However, I'll readily conceed that many of them probably work. I'm a firm believer in well filtered, frequently changed oils. I think if you do that, fancy additives are not needed. I remember back when Arco came out with that black graphite oil. Everbody thought it was a neat idea. I worked at an Exxon at the time, and we had a guy come in who was running it on his Corvette. He went a good bit over his oil change interval, and when the mechanic removed the drain plug NOTHING CAME OUT!!! He had to take a screw driver and stick it in the hole, and then it all started to glop out. Too scary for me!

You mention this one before and I agree that changing the oil often is cheaper and better insurance than pouring additives in the oil.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still use Slick 50 on occasion. I had a 2.0L Ranger that would lose oil pressure. The motor blew "eventually" but I believe the Slick 50 helped it last a lot longer than it would have otherwise.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I still use Slick 50 on occasion. I had a 2.0L Ranger that would lose oil pressure. The motor blew "eventually" but I believe the Slick 50 helped it last a lot longer than it would have otherwise.

I sold a ton of that stuff! Not that I pushed it, I did use it though in my 83 Celebrity for quite sometime, then went to synthetic oil. I sold it about 10 years ago with 345,000 on it and it is still running.

We also sold a bunch of Restore. A guy that was very meticulous, flew remote airplanes and his were all in a class of their own as well as building two EAA airplanes that he flew. Anyway, I state all this because the guy paid very close attention to details, and he swore by Restore in his 2.3 Ranger with tons of miles on it. He would put a can in with every oil change and said compression did increase etc. I kept it on the shelf, but never pushed it. I poured some out one time, looked like copper shavings in mud to me! Not something I would want in my oil.

I have heard of Motor Silk, Motor Honey etc., but don't think I have heard of this one. Lucas and all those were readily sold as well.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of that stuff is just oil thickener that will naturally increase compression and oil pressure. Blows my mind that people will use 5w30 then put in 2 bottles of STP to try to get oil pressure back up.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Lots of that stuff is just oil thickener that will naturally increase compression and oil pressure. Blows my mind that people will use 5w30 then put in 2 bottles of STP to try to get oil pressure back up.

I hear that!!! LOL

We used to carry some Kendall straight 50, 60 and 70 as well. Supposedly for the Harley guys, but ultimately, we sold it to used car lots!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online