equalizing both tanks?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option I have seen done on both 70s/80s GMs and Fords is to mount the big plastic 30-gallon 1st Gen. Dodge tank.

When fitted to a Ford, it replaces the front tank.

A big bonus when used on a GM is that the factory dual GM tanks are outboard the frame, whereas the big Dodge tank mounts inboard; so, the GM tanks remain and the big Dodge tank is an extra 30-gallons of capacity.
;Sweet

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? Semi-trucks have been doing this for decades. QUOTE]

Just an FYI: Frieghtliner does not daisy chain tanks together. They use a manual selector valve, which effectively eliminates all your electric fuel selector valve issues. We actually make this two way, three port ball valve for Freightliner, and I've thought many times about putting one on my truck as soon as my current FSV dies.

I love long distance range as much as the next guy, but also consider the fact that you are going to make your truck considerably heavier with additional fuel. Diesel is a little over 7 pounds per gallon, so a 70-80 gallon fuel load is roughly 500 pounds when fully loaded. I want the payload in the bed of my truck, not my fuel tank.

But hey, different strokes for different folks: that's what makes this country great ;Sweet

Last edited:

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I oft read of the 38-gallon "Bronco" rear tank, plus the aftermarket clones.

My concern with these would be ground clearance.

The bottom of the factory rear 20-gallon tank on my cab-chassis truck is below the center-line of the rear axle.

How much lower is this 38-gallon tank gonna be ??

I can't see anywhere for this near-double capacity to go but closer to the ground.
:dunno

My factory rear tank on my cab and chassis is not below the axle centerline. Just sayin.

I really don't like the thought of linking the two in the manner mentioned. It seems there are other solutions that aren't as, erm, controversial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Staff online