EPump after fuel filter

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am thinking of moving my Faucet EPump from my frame rail to the engine compartment. But I am also wanting to relocate my fuel filter onto the frame rail. Would there be an issue with having it set up with the order being fuel filter, then EPump then IP instead of EPump, then fuel filter, then IP?

With mine being a van body space in the engine compartment is at a real premium and moving the fuel filter assembly would free up a ton of space.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think usually the biggest concern plumbing it like that is the whole push vs pull. It's easier to push through the filter (restriction) than it would be to pull through it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not leave the pump where it is and put the filter after it? Ideally you want a high micron prefilter thats easy to draw through and the secondary filter after the pump. I think you would run into issues having the pump in the engine compartment since it would have to suck fuel all the way from the tank, through a filter then across the frame and back up to the engine.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read a lot where people put the facuet pump in the compartment because it it designed to pull the fuel more than push it.

Setting it up the way you suggested is what I was originally planning on doing, but I am also trying to figure out why my van seemed to gel up or have fuel flow issues. I added a ton of additive etc and still had issues. My EPump didn’t sound like it was running right in the -15* temps. A few people had stated that they had similar issues in very cold temps with their Facuet mounted to the frame rail....and that it cleared up when moved closer to the IP in the engine compartment.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see where that would be an issue. Maybe try a nitrous bottle heater wrapped around the fuel pump for cold weather use. You can buy insulation socks for fuel pumps as well to help them keep the heat in

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see where that would be an issue. Maybe try a nitrous bottle heater wrapped around the fuel pump for cold weather use. You can buy insulation socks for fuel pumps as well to help them keep the heat in

This would be an easy fix and one that I was thinking of. I just wish there was an easy way to test it instead of just waiting until it is -15* out hoping I don’t get stranded.

I spoke with another guy who is fairly plugged in with some diesel shops in the area and also runs heavy equipment for a job. He said he had gelled fuel issues with the cold and a bunch of other folks did too.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think if "I" were to move a facett today, it would be into the holley box that is replacing it...
This is just my .02 from all the positive holley input over the carrier.:sorry:
While the eng. Bay will keep it warmer for sure, and the heat blanket is also a good idea, think about the starvation issues wes brought up!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be an easy fix and one that I was thinking of. I just wish there was an easy way to test it instead of just waiting until it is -15* out hoping I don’t get stranded.

I spoke with another guy who is fairly plugged in with some diesel shops in the area and also runs heavy equipment for a job. He said he had gelled fuel issues with the cold and a bunch of other folks did too.

I’ve used blankets for this kind of thing successfully in the past, works great on a cold starter that doesn’t want to crank. You could even tee in a fuel temp sensor and use that to trigger the heater blanket automatically.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would put the filter after the Facet pump. It has a fairly fine screen in its sediment bowl so you don't need another pre-filter. However, you definitely want a micron filter after all the plumbing and right before the IP, because any debris (including a failed pump) would otherwise go straight into the IP and there's only a strainer at its inlet fitting.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used blankets for this kind of thing successfully in the past, works great on a cold starter that doesn’t want to crank. You could even tee in a fuel temp sensor and use that to trigger the heater blanket automatically.

I have a Wolverine blanket heater that I run on my fuel filter in the winter. I guess I am going to have to get another for the Facet fuel pump. It was 31 below here on Thursday and the Facet could only manage 1-2 psi at idle. The truck would idle, but that was about it. It is 37 above here today, and the Facet is putting out 6-7 psi at idle. What a difference an almost 70 degree temperature swing makes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online