Engine Time

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These lifters were used all the way to the 6.4 so they should be selling plenty... I go with Johnson lifters in my engines but they are a good bit more pricey

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These lifters were used all the way to the 6.4 so they should be selling plenty... I go with Johnson lifters in my engines but they are a good bit more pricey

I don't mind a little more pricey. I want quality. When your into an engine for $2-$3000.00 whats a little more. I'll check them out.
I just got off the phone with O'Reilly, Melling lifters are USA made and cheaper than the Mahle.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, these engines had mahle from the factory

I figured as much that's why I picked that brand. The problem is a lot of companies source their aftermarket stuff differently from OE. I work primarily on Asian cars and see that Denso OE parts and Denso aftermarket parts can be different. I've also seen it with Delphi/Delco

Last edited:

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the lifters you get have needle bearings & not bushings.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the lifters you get have needle bearings & not bushings.

I already have these Mahle/Clevite lifters. I haven't looked at them closely yet. I will probably put my hands on a set of Melling and see what they look like. There might be a restocking fee on the Mahle but that's OK.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of questions maybe someone can answer.
#1 What's the part number for the Larger IDIT piston pin bushings?
#2 How prone to failure are the oil coolers Should I replace or clean and reuse?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not found a source for just replacing the wrist pins, I always just replace the pistons which comes with new wrist pins.

Just clean out the oil cooler, hot tank it if you can then blow out each rod and youre good.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not found a source for just replacing the wrist pins, I always just replace the pistons which comes with new wrist pins.

Just clean out the oil cooler, hot tank it if you can then blow out each rod and you're good.

Good morning Wes,
I have new pistons and pins I wanted to replace the bushings in the used rods I have. I sent them to the machine shop this morning I'm sure they will find some bushings. I couldn't find them through any of my sources.
I'll pull the oil cooler apart this evening and see what it looks like. If they were prone to failure I would replace it.
Thanks.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, the rod bushings are pretty easy to source, the machine shop shouldn’t have any issues there. I’d rather run the oem cooler than the aftermarket ones, it will have more rods than the aftermarket ones

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, the rod bushings are pretty easy to source, the machine shop shouldn’t have any issues there. I’d rather run the oem cooler than the aftermarket ones, it will have more rods than the aftermarket ones

Agreed. I had found a factory cooler at a good price. I may grab it up anyway $245.00.
My friend at the dealer said my cost $295.00 so still cheaper than the good buddy price at the dealer. There's a good amount of parts still available from the dealer for these trucks

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man must be some buddy! I can hardly get zd9s from our parts department at the dealership. Last oil cooler replacement they quoted me over $600!

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man must be some buddy! I can hardly get zd9s from our parts department at the dealership. Last oil cooler replacement they quoted me over $600!

I worked with him for a few years. He's a wholesale guy at Bob Tomes Ford Mckinney, TX. It pays to stay in touch. I think I will grab that one I found for $245.00. It's hard to even find a made in China Dorman for that price.