engine starting issues>>

TOPHER1

Reaction score
Well finished hooking up Radiator and power steering pump remounted.. Crawled under the truck and removed the pickup after cleaning the area and removing fuel/return lines and electrical. Pulled the unit out and the shower head is was still in place but seemed to be a little loose. So I took it off and put on a piece of fuel line with hose clamp and barbed brass fitting with slots in it so it will suck to the bottom. finger crossed and tried to start truck but NO go.. It still seems as if the pump is getting air because I am getting a pulsing of fuel not a steady flow. I turned the fuel pump on and crawled under the truck and removed the return line and get steady fuel out of it and I can hear it running into the tank.. I have a another question from the fuel filter head unit (feed line to the IP) there is a small fitting that has a line going to the first injector. I assume it is to help prime the system. When I turn the pump on It pulses and looking at the fuel pump filter the fuel level goes up and down and I really do not get a steady flow of fuel at the shreader valve.. Just a thought while typing this up maybe I an bypassing to much fuel to the tank and not much getting into the IP..
Any thoughts
Thanks in advance
Chris

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mechanical lift pump or electrical? is it working properly?

TOPHER1

Reaction score
Electric duralift pump.. I am seeing/hearing pulsing but if I go back to the tank an pull the return the flow is steady.. I am wondering if I an just putting to much fuel back to the tank.. The pump filter bowl never fills completely up with diesel and every time I push the shreader valve to release air the pump bowl fuel level drops. like I said if i have the pump running I get air out of the shreader valve but not much fuel and that is with 5-7 minutes of constant running and pushing the shreader valve.. as far a low voltage the 2 brand new group31 batteries and new battery cables both pos and neg.. It seems as if the pump never gets the preassure to the IP.. Thinking I need to remove the small return from the filter head housing which will then put the fuel to the IP instead of the return lines and back to the tank.. Any thoughts..
Thanks
Chris

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did your return line still have that flattened nozzle gizmo in the tank?

TOPHER1

Reaction score
Yes the sending unit look as it should.. I did remove the shower head and put fuel line and barbed brass fitting on the end with notches cut into it so it will not suck to the bottom of the tank..

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take the hose off at the electric pump and see what kind if flow you have there; you could just be sucking the line closed behind it or it's little inline filter could be clogged. that would be the best-case scenario I guess

Desert Diesel Dog

Reaction score
I really enjoy reading your posts. I have So much to learn and you always seem to make things very understandable to me.

You mentioned ‘removing the bed’. Providing someone has a good way to hoist it how hard is it to remove an 8 foot bed? I use a heavy duty homemade unused swing set and 2 come-alongs to remove my shell. Bed removal could be a good option for me if it isn't too involved. Thanks For Your Great Posts !!

TOPHER1

Reaction score
Well went to local auto store and picked up starter fluid to mist ove intake to se what would happen and now have new problem.. I my rush to getting buttoned up with rad and stuff I must not have tightened the fan up enough. You got it nice whole in my radiator.. So 1 step forward 3 steps back now.. This sucks!! Any way truck fired but shut down and that is when the fan dropped off.. So more to come later..

TOPHER1

Reaction score
Ok it has been a while since my last update. I finally got the Radiator repaired and everything reinstalled and it still would not start but I was determined to find the air intrusion and after removing a cluster of hose that bypassed the water separator and cleaning everything I found a small pin whole in fuel line that rubbed the frame replaced it and tided up loose ends and finally got it running and it runs great. NOW FOR SALE.. $4000 OBO.. Here is the listing on Craigslist.. let me know if I am way off base as far as what I am asking.. Thanks to all and I appreciate all the help and advice.
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4587725255.html

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did both my tanks as well. I didnt remove the bed. But I did unbolt it, jack it up high enough to put a couple of 2x4s under it. The extra space really helps and I could do it all by myself.

TOPHER1

Reaction score
That is were the clock was I just cut the plastic and made an aluminum box and fitted into place.. Very easy to see and plus who needs a clock most radios have a clock in them so figured that to be the best spot for viewing..
Thanks for noticing..