Engine shuts off randomly

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While driving around town my truck will shut off randomly. The truck will re-start with no problem and will run fine until it shuts off again. There is no warning signs or set time interval before it shuts off again.
Any one have any ideas.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've spliced anything into this wire / connector as well to trigger a relay for a facet pump or anything, and that wire shorts or grounds out somewhere else it will backfeed and kill the pump. Happened on my 6.9 a wire for my facet got pinched and would hit the hood with the right wind and shut off the truck. Didn't figure it out until I got an electric fuel pressure gauge and fed the power from the same location and noticed when the truck died so did the fuel gauge..

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned and tightened the front connector on the ip and the truck still shuts off randomly. The wire harness is original with no modifications to the ip connections. I was wondering if it could be the ignition switch or the main wire harness connector that is on the passenger wheel well?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's the fusible link....I've replaced it on every truck. I use these:

You must be registered for see images attach

It's a 40 amp fuse ... comes with comes with 8 gauge (I believe) pig tales about 6" long ... about $11 at O'Reilly. ((EDIT: Part # MAH1 Line: (Lit) made by Littlefuse)) I also disable that stupid heater on every truck ... not convinced that it does anything good.

coainpaso

Reaction score
Does only the engine die or does all of the electrical shut off too? My 6.9 was doing this but all electrical power shut off as well. Ended up being the switch at the bottom of the steering column.

Last edited:

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: It turned out to be the ignition switch on the steering column causing the random shutoff of the engine. I finaly got a day off with good weather to diagnose the truck and found that the top half of the ignition switch was starting to separate from the bottom half of the switch. I replaced the switch and fixed the problem. Thanks for all of the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance