Engine rattle and white smoke

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have it booked into a shop for Thursday for a compression test.
It will cost me just as much for a diesel compression tester as getting it done in the shop.
I realize that we all think differently.

My reaction to that realization would be... And if I have to get it done again, it will cost just as much, again. (Or more. Prices don't tend to go down...)

But if I buy the tester, it'll never cost me again, to do the test. Plus I can do the test for others...

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got back to fixing the truck and got a compression test done.
Cylinders 1-7 were around the 400psi and 8 was around 150psi. I didn't have time to take of the covers last night so this afternoon i'll remove the rocker cover and go from there.

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the cover rocker cover off and found #8 inlet rocker broken. The internal slider has split on one side and rocker has jammed. The push rod is still straight and the lifter seems ok. Has anyone had this happen before?

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have the rocker issue but had exact same problem you started with, sudden heavy smoke smelling like diesel and low on power with the noise. I replaced the Injectors, did the ATF and Hot Shot Extreme, checked injector line temps. In the end a rocker arm blew through the block and the piston exploded, pretty wild. Im not sure if that rocker would cause low compression but I would be nervous about number 8. I didn't have any coolant or oil mixing but can't help to think that there had to be a crack or small cavitation hole in that cylinder somewhere. Not saying that is the problem, just my thoughts

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the cover rocker cover off and found #8 inlet rocker broken. The internal slider has split on one side and rocker has jammed. The push rod is still straight and the lifter seems ok. Has anyone had this happen before?
Ive heard of this happening more often with the reground cams than the stock cams. Did you check your valve to piston clearance when you built the engine? Did you upgrade valve springs and make sure they are shimmed to 1.8"?

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard of this happening more often with the reground cams than the stock cams. Did you check your valve to piston clearance when you built the engine? Did you upgrade valve springs and make sure they are shimmed to 1.8"?
When I rebuilt the engine, the head thickness, valve recession was in spec. Upgraded valve springs were fitted and shimmed to the correct height. Reduced height pistons were also fitted. I checked the valve clearance by sticking plasticene on the valves and torqueing the heads down, using the old head gaskets and then baring the engine over. I didnt measure the plasticene thickness after, but I could see that there was clearance there. New rocker arms were fitted when the engine was rebuilt. The rocker looks as though its cracked rather than bent and the push rod is still straight. Probably a long shot, but I just wonder if I got a bad rocker. Although I'm questioning everything I did on it now. I'll try and get a photo of up when get home

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive also heard of certain brands of aftermarket rockers being poor quality, probably just a bad rocker.

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets hope so. I think they came in a "Dana" branded box, but I guess the way things are done these days it could of been manufactured by anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online