Engine "knocking" When shifting what's correct timing with ferret meter and turbo/IC?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've spoken with Mel about it i have a bull moose and moose misters, factory turbo only running 7psi and an intercooler. It's a 5 speed, and when i let completely let of the throttle, shift, and place under load (somewhat quickly) i can hear it knock for a half second as though the timing is advanced too far. If i slowly let off the throttle and ease back into it i dont hear the knock. It's nothing like "oh my God she's goin to blow!" knock but i can definitely hear a change is what sounds like advanced timing to me. I can drive easily enough and make it go away it just seems like something that shouldnt be happening.

I have a ferret meter and $80 advance timing meter. I timed the engine before i replaced the IP, it was orginally 3.5 or 4, i set it to 7 and gained 1mpg. This time i installed bull moose and misters with marks lined up, that got me to 4 degrees, so i adjusted it to 7 or 7.5. I drove it just over 300 miles and rechecked it and its around 6 to 6.5. Mel suggested i retard it 2 degrees to see if the knocking goes away when shifting. Which makes sense but 4 degrees seems far retarded. My ferret meter, timing light, and battery are only a month old, i have sanded the line and used aluminum never seize and have perfectly consistent pulse. I do have an electric fuel pump but i have a relief/FP regualtor that keeps it around 6-7psi. I dont have a gauge permenantly installed, its my next step in thinking that maybe the pump stopping calling for fuel closes and rejects more fuel and then my relief regular opens sending fuel back to the tank (it's set for 5psi, my pumps max is 8.7psi) but the "knocking" comes not when i let off, but when i step back into the throttle.

I would think with an IC that you should have to advance timing to compense for the cooler intake charge being introduced. I see here that 9 to 9.5 is ideal, i see from other forums some found 7.5 to be ideal, others found 8.5 to be ideal. So just what should i try to shoot for? At 60mph/2000rpm i see 400-450 egts and 2psi boost.

Can being too retarded cause it to knock too? Theres no noticeable smoke or stumbling when doing this or anything. Idle timing is at 12 degrees. I am using the timing light, programming in 12 degrees and lining up the 0 with the line to the line on the crank for idle, for timing i am reving to 2000rpm by timing light, setting it to 6 or 7 degrees, the line is falling just between that, cant get a direct 90 degree view to the lines, probably 70 degrees but im confident in my reading it and the accuracy of it.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have both my trucks set at 8 BTDC.

Chip Truck: '93 F250HD 4x4 XLT,Dually,9' Dump & Plow.
444ci Navistar IDI,100cc of Moose juice w/ H-max SPL.2nd gen Banks sidewinder.Turbo G Code Injectors.CXRacing FMIC.Aux engine oil cooler.3.5" exhaust & cowl induction.Built E4OD w/ Tugger kit,T-stat,Aux Cooler & Triple Disc Billet Converter & Extra Low Stall.3.84:1 effective.Electric fuel & Engine fans.Coolant filtration.Hydroboost brakes.POR-15.Stainless sims.WC mirrors.Under bed toolboxes.Keyless entry.Soundproofing.MP3.Rear view cam.Auto meter gauges.

Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F-450) XLT,16' Dump & Auto Crane.
444ci Navistar IDI w/2nd gen Banks sidewinder.Turbo G Code Injectors.CXRacing FMIC.3.5" exhaust.E4OD w/Transgo kit,T-stat & Aux Cooler.5.13 gearing.Electric fuel & Coolant filtration.WC mirrors.Under bed toolboxes.Keyless entry.MP3.Rear view cam.Auto meter gauges.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that is using a ferret meter, just programming in 8 on the Advance meter to 8 and getting 0 line to line up with crank line right? I know it seems simple I just want to be absolutely sure I'm not doing something dumb and missing something else I was supposed to add to the timing.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh oops! lmao! im sorry.yes that's right.my timing method is also the ferret adapter and timing light w/advance.
i haven't talked too much about these trucks when on vaca.i forget there's more than 1 way to skin a cat when timing.:D

and yes,your using your timing equipment correctly.;Sweet
(w/ piezo clamp on injector 1 or 4)

im surprised you haven't adjusted your wastegate too by the way,so she boosts to 12lbs or so.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I've only had truck since september, still working on getting everything "mechanically restored". I may run 10psi but I don't see it getting me much better fuel economy. I'm not out to make tons of power just better efficiency and reliability hopefully. I drive almost 200 miles a day with it as I think it's neat to drive an all mechanical diesel injection truck in a world of DEF fleet vehicles.

I'll increase my timing to 8 and listen for knock and install remote fuel pressure gauge to make sure my fuel pump isn't doing anything funny. I

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well if Mel suggests trying back a couple degrees,then try that first.he's probably looking to gain some info unknown to me.im just saying,im running 8.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wisdom here(Mels included) is set timing at 9.5
However some run turbo trucks a little less.
I would follow Mels advice.
Have you heard the dmf spring rattle?
Lug it down and short shift it, ya hear some weird chitt.
Just curious if that could be a part!?
The fact that these things will start and drive -+ at ten degree either way astounds me.
Keep on it

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have a dmf? I'm really not sure. It's never sounded like this before the pump and injectors and ic install, it's always had the same amount of gear overrun. I'll try retarding it then advancing it each tank and go by Max fuel mileage.

Can too little advance cause knocking?

Attachments

• 2016-04-04 22.53.29.jpg
    2016-04-04 22.53.29.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 2016-04-04 22.52.40.jpg
    2016-04-04 22.52.40.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 23

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you running 13psi with no intercooler. I am thinking with an intercooler I should be able to run more advanced.

Listening again to it this morning it can best be described as a cold diesel knock. What causes cold diesels to knock or clack louder when cold? Retarded detonation because of cold air? I'd say for the half second it sounds like a 6.0l cold starting

Black dawg

Reaction score
I would bump the timing back 1 degree at a time until the harsh rattle goes away. Will it do it ONLY from no throttle to wot quickly, or will it do it if you go from 1/2-3/4 throttle to wot quickly? I have had a couple pumps that for some reason going from part throttle to no throttle and back to heavy throttle, the advance piston would hang up for some reason....usually can feel a stiff feeling in the pedal though.

with the fuel system you are running I would set the wastegate at 12+, basically whatever it takes for no smoke at altitude(if you ever go there).

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is from any throttle above 20% to 0, then back to 20% or more. It only happens when going from zero throttle to a greater amount. No knocking when flooring it, or under load at all. It seems like what you are describing as the advance piston may be hanging up? It's like when I let off throttle the timing advances for idle and when I place it back under load the advance is still there and then goes away. Or maybe I and just hearing it wrong and it's normal to knock when placing it under load. Here is a video, it's hard to hear, I'm in 4th gear crusing around 20% throttle, I let off then throttle back in. I do it multiple times so you can hear the repetition of it. No smoke or anything or increased egts. I can drive around it just fine but it sounded to me like something was off.

https://youtu.be/kkHLKXRgjFY

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online