Engine "knocking" When shifting what's correct timing with ferret meter and turbo/IC?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away from using the manual cold advance mod under normal cruise conditions' gunna burn glows and **** off the pumps calibration.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bull moose and misters deliver more fuel but where in fuel curve I have no idea....

Cannot comment with athority due to lack of knowing above^^^^^^...but best guess..ya maybe more fuel than you can use?

Anyone in timing registry near you?

Seeing as you timed prior to exchange of parts...I am hazarding a guess here...that you swapped IP and injectors at same time....so we cannot tell if it is one or the other....do you still have old IP if so toss it on for comparrison....maybe then you will have an answer???

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am only an hour and a half from conestoga so maybe I'll see how much Mel would charge me to listen to it and time it.

Yeah I swapped them all at once. I want to mark every 90 degrees and check every injector timing. I think this would be a good indicator if one injector went bad.

I sent all injectors and cores back to conestoga. Maybe there's nothing wrong, I'm just hearing it work with extra power and fuel. It having a trained set of ears on it would be best. Or its getting a 6bt when it destroys itself.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time for a drive.....best advice....

I would never ship parts for a first time for an hour n half drive to pick up and meet n greet.

I drove that to get 6 ceramic cups and nozzles and tips for my plasma cutter....so I could meet the supplier and talk shop...well worth the drive.

JM7.3CW

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well there ya go.that's your answer.drive it over to Mel and let him test drive it with you.he can tell you if all is good and then you can force it to make the noise and he'll let you know if that's just extreme engine lugging your hearing........which is probably all it is.

really,these engines are not too fussy about timing.you can set it at 8 or anywhere between the ditches from 6-10 BTDC and it will run fine.its just that it will run better under some conditions than others is all.
if you run it at 6 BTDC your going to gain max take off turbo spool quickness but your fuel economy might be a bit lower than it could be around 8.
if you set it at 10 then you might notice some loss in the upper rpms when towing but up this way might yield the best fuel economy and perhaps lower EGT's.

there's really no wrong timing between 6 and 10.it's just personal preference.we all use our trucks differently.
but anywhere @ 8 BTDC +/- 2 = no issues in the way the engine should run as far as knocking and smoking goes.

as a general rule though,the more fuel you introduce,the more towards 6-8 range you want,for engine longevity due to higher cylinder pressure the extra fuel creates and the lack of turbo lag.
iv never personally gained anything in EGT nor fuel economy to warrant running over 8.now if i lived down in Texas or out in Cali where they provide premium high cetane diesel.......things might be different.........but then again with the bull moose.....i probably personally still wouldn't go past 8.

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta ask what is the concern with burning glow plug tips? It is because of the knock from predetonation causes some harmonic imbalance that cracks the tip and breaks it loose? I just don't see them getting even as hot as they glow when heated so they shouldn't burn up. If combustion gasses got that hot that be melting the aluminum pistons before the steel glow plugs I would think

I did try to move flywheel and the pressure plate each. I applied enough force by hand to rotate the engine either way 1/2" as I watched the balancer while I was under there. I think it's a single mass.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a ride to Conestoga today and met Joel who went for a ride with me in my truck. He says it's perfectly normal and is likely the timing advance for low throttle since it only happens when letting off the throttle completely. My old pump was just worn out and i never heard it. He says it sounds great and there's no need to change the timing, there is no knocking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Staff online

Members online