Engine Has A Miss

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I think it is on cyl #5 because that cyl has the least affect when I crack open each inj. line. Also, I don't see as much fuel squirting when I crack it. Could this be an IP problem? Air?

I put new Delphi BB's in it about 800 miles ago. Could one have gone bad?

I don't hear any additional engine noise so maybe it isn't valvetrain, but who knows. Need a compression tester.

Any ideas?

This could greatly affect whether I make it to Kentucky or not! I've got a west coast trip for work the last half of this month, so I need to get it fixed in now. HELP!!

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
Im not to sure but maybe something got clogged. A cheap test would be running a bunch of diesel clean threw it and maybe a filter full.

Some auto part stores here rent out tools so you might be able to borrow a compression tester from one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Pull that injector and replace it... Or swap it for another cylinder and see if the miss follows.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull that injector and replace it... Or swap it for another cylinder and see if the miss follows.

X 2. That's the easiest way to see if it is actually a problem with that hole. If the problem follows, there's no need to go any further.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a compression tester and the appropriate adapter at Harbor Freight. It needs to go up to 600PSI at least. 300-500 PSI is fair to good and the lowest cylinder should be no more than 25% lower than the highest. You could try the cheaper easier swapping injectors around first. You're sure there's no clogged fuel filters or air intrusion into the system and that the line isn't cracked I guess.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
You're sure there's no clogged fuel filters or air intrusion into the system and that the line isn't cracked I guess.

Thanks Guys,
It could be air in the return lines I guess. I had 2 bad orings where I damaged them putting the return lines back on. I don't see any fuel leaks anywhere except where the two orings were damaged. Maybe I should check them all. How long does it take to get all the air out.

Fuel filter changed ~2000 miles back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online